Stacks missing from Applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pcimaging, Dec 19, 2007.

1. pcimaging macrumors newbie

I have the iMac running Leopard 10.5.1 and discovered that not only is the icon for Stacks missing from the Dock, the .app for it is missing from Applications folder as well. I am assuming it would be called stacks.app or close. If I did somehow inadvertantly delete that is there a way to get it back on here without having to reinstall the Leopard disk? Thanks
    Greg

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Stacks? Stacks doesn't have an icon.

Do you mean Spaces?

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Drag the folder "Application" (the folder where all your apps are kept) to right side of the crosswalk, thingy, and your application stack will appear.

4. pcimaging thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed there is no "Stacks" application

Much Ado and Lancetraz, thanks for the reply. I sure feel dumb now.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif After reading the reply from Much Ado I realized that "Stacks" is not a application but rather a feature of the Dock that allows one to drag a "Folder" of files to the "Dock" so they can be viewed as a "Stack". I was not clear about that before but thanks to you both for the feedback.
    Note: I hope it alright to add this without starting a new thread. When I did drag a "Folder " of files down to the "Dock", I went to view the files in a "Fan" vs a "Grid". All I see are a bunch of black semi transparent horizontal bars in the flyout or "Fan" formation. When I select to View as " Grid" they are all icons as I am sure they should be. Any idea why that is? Please do disregard the question if I anm supposed to start a new thread.

5. snowsurfa macrumors newbie

stacks wont display in fans

Hi. I have the same problem as you

All I see are a bunch of black semi transparent horizontal bars in the flyout or "Fan" formation. When I select to View as " Grid" they are all icons as I am sure they should be.

Exactly the same! I dont know what is going on here but is this a display issue? I didn't have anything in the documents folder originally so I removed that from there, but i still have the downloads folder but it wont display as a fan, just those semi transparent lines.

HEeeeeelp!

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

If one of you could post a screen shot :)apple:+shift+3), that would help. :)

7. pcimaging thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you believe it is working now

I have absolutely no idea why , but I went to do the screen shot you mentioned lancetraz and remarkably the think is working as it is supposed to now. I wish I knew why it was not before so I could help someone else with the problem. Thanks for the reply anyhow. I am glad it is working.:)

8. snowsurfa macrumors newbie

stack fans

my fans came back after restarting my computer. Now I've noticed that they disappeared again but I'm not sure what I did. So i logged back out and logged back in and they are back and working fine again for the time being. Seems to be some inconsistency here. I also noticed that when they disappeared the transparent grey area beneath the dock had also turned clear which looked great, but the fans weren't working when that happened.

Here's a pic of what it looks like taken from the Apple Discussion on the same topic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maaku/2021104837/

discussion thread is: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6043347&#6043347