Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
As per a comment left by a user on this web-page

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071101055329470

it is possible to place the recent applications stack on the left side of the dock using the following commands in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

killall Dock

My question is, does anyone know, perhaps by modifying the above command, how to do this with folders of your choice. I would find this useful for things like office items. The function was availale in beta versions of Leopard, so it seems a bit odd they haven't included it in the final.

torma616

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
I might have an idea

So i realize that this thread is about a year old, and sorry for the bump.......but I had thought of something.

The code you posted was:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

on another site, the code i found was:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

Note that the difference is in the "persistent-apps" vs. "persistent-others" part of the code.

So hypothetically, if we could figure out the correct string for the "tile-type =" we could probably make the computer think anything is an application and in effect, put it on the left of the dock divider.

Now, I'm no programmer/developer, and as such have NO clue as to the workings of the Mac system other than the most basic of things, I don't know how to use this information.

But it's a start?

jaf2

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Hi!

Did you find a solution to put stacks on the left part of dock, with the applications? It would be great for suites, like office, iwork, ilife... and launch them quickly!

Hope someone will read my (first!!) post :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.