Stacks question.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skinnylegs, Nov 6, 2007.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'd like to create a stack for my applications thereby reducing the clutter on my dock. So.....I created alias's for three different apps. and put them in a stack folder. The problem is that the app. icons 'kinda overlay each other. For instance, if you look at the attached pic., you will see the MSN Messenger icon sort of behind the Address Book icon. Also, each time I add an alias to the stack another alias arrow aligns to the right of the stack which looks 'kinda tacky.

Any suggestions for the proper way I should be doing this?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's how the stack is meant to look...apparently it's a feature that many people have objections to (I happen to like it).

Here's what you do to get rid of it:

Go into the folder that you want to change the physical appearance of. Create a new folder, and name it with a single tap to your spacebar. This way, that folder will be alphabetically first (and hence the first in your stack) and you'll get the classic "folder" image.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

OK.....I 'kinda see where you're going. I am using .png images for the stack folder icons so I did what you suggested and indeed it remains the foremost icon therefore represents on the stack. However, the icons still 'kinda line up behind it. If you look at this pic. you will see the iCal icon ever so slightly behind the .png icon.

[​IMG]

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah it won't be 100% effective. However, you could always create two folders that are ahead of all your stack's items.

5. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i'm sorry, how do you create new icons?
    if i create a stack say of MS office, or anything for that matter, the stack 'icon' is simply a folder with the application's name over it.

6. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Use an icon.....

.....or whatever that icon you placed in the folder is.