Stacks vs. Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i4k20c, Feb 12, 2008.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I do not really understand what the difference is between a stack on the dock versus me having my applications on the dock in tiger, holding on the "folder" and letting all the applications appear..

can someone explain to me what the difference really is? cause i see the stacks even have the folder option or stacks option, and i have no idea how these would behave differently.

thank you. :eek:

2. hempcamp macrumors member

Not sure what you're asking, and I think it should be in the OS X forum, but...

Maybe not so much in Applications, in Documents or Home, the "Tiger way" makes it a heck of a lot easier than stacks to quickly dig down multiple folders without opening a finder window and clicking your way to what you want.

--Chris

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

that is my point.. that the folder version in tiger is the same if not more efficiant..so exactly what is stacks? and how is stacks different from a regular old folder on the right side of the dock?

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Actually, as of 10.5.2 update, Stacks in Leopard behaves exactly as it does in Tiger (it's called List view), only you now don't have to hold your mouse and wait forever, or right click, to get the folder to appear. Unlike Tiger, you can also have two other ways of seeing the Stack contents (fan, grid), and can also now have them arranged by dates, kind, etc...

One can now confidently say Stacks in Leopard is better than Dock Folders in Tiger.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Actually not better in all respects...

In Tiger, you could have aliases in folders and still browse them in Tiger. In Leopard, you can't browse through Aliases in a folder in your stack...

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I guess I better downgrade to Tiger.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

LOL - It's not THAT bad. :)

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I have the same folder full of aliases along with a couple of sub-folders with aliases. It works the same in list view in Leopard as it did in Tiger.

9. beiju macrumors newbie

How did you get it to do that? I want my Stacks to work that way. Or are you referring to dropping the alias in your Dock and browsing the contents of the alias (or the folder the alias is pointing to), rather than dropping the alias's parent folder in the dock and accessing the items in it after navigating to it in your Stack folder? That is what I want.

10. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I created a folder in a folder in my Documents folder & put aliases of several applications in it. I also put a couple of folders for aliases of lesser used applications in it. I then dragged this folder to the Dock & right-clicked on it to choose List view & view as a folder.

11. beiju macrumors newbie

Folders, not files

What I was referring to is the ability to view the contents of a folder alias's original by selecting the alias in List View in the Finder. You are correct, an alias to a file will certainly work in Stacks, but you cannot browse the "contents" of a folder alias like you can in Finder, and possibly in the Tiger equivalent of Stacks. Sorry for the miscommunication.

12. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

That is why I create the sub-folder & put more aliases in it.