Stacks - Woefully Inadequate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sammy2066, Oct 8, 2009.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

To this day, I've failed to use Stacks in a meaningful way or truly understand the logic behind Apple's decision to implement them.

I mean sure, they're fancy and tell me what's inside a folder quickly. And wait, for $29 more I can move between folders within stacks! Whoa!

Here's what Stacks don't do, and ideally should to qualify as a worthwhile feature.

1) Allow contextual menus within Stacks. In their current iteration, if I need to do anything other than actually open a file, I have to use Finder.

2) Display more than just the name of the file when you hover over a file. Basic stuff like file size and date modified would be very useful for quick info on the go.

3) And for the love of god, what's stopping them from implementing Quick Look in Stacks?

Eg: Imagine a scenario with an entire season of The Office as a stack. I don't have the filenames correctly done. In this case, the aforementioned features would be EXTREMELY handy.

1) Open stack and Quick Look an episode.
    2) Right click and episode within the stack and change the filename with the correct name.
    3) Repeat till you're done organizing the folder.

See? No need to ever open Finder.

Of course, people will happily pay $129 for 10.7 after Steve Jobs does this at a keynote presentation and concludes it with a BOOM!

Thanks for hearing me rant.

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I find Stacks to be pretty useful. Not earth shattering, but useful.

Quick access from the Dock to certain Apps / folders / Docs that I access regularly.

As for Quick Look, Contextual Menu's, and Folder Data, well, I don't think Stacks was meant to be replacement for Finder.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I see it as nothing more than a very clear-cut and clean shortcut. Example, I put my applications folder as a stack (list) for quick access rather than typing it in Spotlight or going through Macintosh HD/Applications...

Also, the fact that it doesn't use windows is a plus if you need things organized and clean.

I think I can say this for many others, Stacks/Expose (even better now with Snow Leopard with the refinements) has been one of the features that Apple has hit and executed very well.

4. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course it wasn't, but that shouldn't stop Apple from incorporating features that would make Stacks really useful and time-saving.