Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StackSocial has launched a new "Pay What You Want" Mac software bundle, offering a selection of 10 apps to users who match or exceed the average payment price. Currently, the average price is at $5.56, significantly less than the $383 retail price for the apps, but it will go up as the sale goes on.

stacksocialsale-800x414.jpg

A payment higher than the average price earns users access to all apps, while smaller donations will unlock fewer apps. 10 percent of the proceeds from the sale will go to non-profit organization Creative Commons. A full list of apps included in the bundle is below:

- CrossOver 14 Mac ($59.95) - Lets Windows apps be run on the Mac.
- RapidWeaver 6 ($89.99) - Theme-based website development software.
- BusyCal ($49.99) - Calendar app for the Mac that replaces the default app.
- WinZip 4 Mac ($29.95) - Zips and unzips files.
- WALTR ($29.95) - Transfers and converts media files in any format to a format playable on iOS devices.
- RoboForm Everwhere: 1-Year Subscription ($19.95) - Cross-platform password management service.
- Scapple ($14.99) - Freeform mind-mapping software for jotting down ideas and finding connections.
- StuffIt Deluxe 16 for Mac ($49.99) - Compresses files to shrink size.
- Screens ($29.99) - Virtual network client (VNC) and screen sharing app that gives remote access to multiple computers.
- Find Any File ($7.99) - Spotlight alternative for searching through files.

To encourage higher purchase prices, StackSocial is giving away an iPad Air 2 through a random drawing. Entries are earned by paying a high enough price to make it onto the price leaderboard at any time during the sale. The top payment at the time of this post was $45.

StackSocial's "Pay What You Want" bundle will be available for purchase until September 5.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: StackSocial Offers 'Pay What You Want' Bundle for 10 Popular Mac Apps

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I picked this up earlier, there's a couple applications here I will use quite a bit. Nice to see this bundle, though I'm sure others have free apps that can do just as well. But if you get in early on this stuff, can't beat the prices.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm surprised to see WinZip 4 Mac and StuffIt Deluxe in the same bundle. Wouldn't one or the other be good enough? They both compress/uncompress files, have cloud service connections, offer encryption, etc.

It doesn't hurt to have more tools at your disposal, but it might have been more useful to include some other kind of utility in place of one of these.

Reactions: justperry and Morod

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Have wanted to try CrossOver for a bit. At this price, it's worth it to snap up. Thanks for the heads up on a good deal! :)

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
How does "Pay What You Want" translate to "Pay something within our pre-establshed price range, but not too low if you actually want everything" ?

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
They might want to check with their lawyers about how they're running that give-away.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Crossover would be cool. But it won't run the latest Microsoft Office. So not sure how useful it would be. There's a lot of programs it won't run.

For what it's unable to run, seems like it would just be an exercise in frustration. Try, fail, open an emulator.

Without having the benefit of running everything I'd want to run, I'm sure there's a lot of Windows Viruses that would execute quite well with crossover installed.

Seems like adding risk for no benefit.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Tempted to get this for StuffIt and Crossover. Can anybody confirm what a measly donation would get? I don't really want any of the apps apart from those two. :oops:

Never mind. May as well get the whole bundle, it's going that cheap.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
How does "Pay What You Want" translate to "Pay something within our pre-establshed price range, but not too low if you actually want everything" ?

Dude it's like $6 if you want them all, how on Earth are you complaining.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Dude it's like $6 if you want them all, how on Earth are you complaining.

But is it really? (I'm not the poster you quoted; just asking.) Screens and Find Any File currently don't have an "unlocked" icon next to them, and their phrasing is very confusing. For "all ten," including those apps, do you need to happen to purchase the bundle for a price above the average price after the bundle deal ends, making it somewhat of a guessing game that encourages higher "bidding"?

It is a a little confusing, and I can't find a clear explanation anywhere. Sure, I'll take $6 for the whole thing now, but Screens is one of the few useful apps I see (not impressed with most VNC alternatives on the Mac), so I'd hate to get it without that.

(Or: has anyone already done this and can confirm what happens?)

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
But is it really? (I'm not the poster you quoted; just asking.) Screens and Find Any File currently don't have an "unlocked" icon next to them, and their phrasing is very confusing. For "all ten," including those apps, do you need to happen to purchase the bundle for a price above the average price after the bundle deal ends, making it somewhat of a guessing game that encourages higher "bidding"?

It is a a little confusing, and I can't find a clear explanation anywhere. Sure, I'll take $6 for the whole thing now, but Screens is one of the few useful apps I see (not impressed with most VNC alternatives on the Mac), so I'd hate to get it without that.

The default option is "beat the average price". That will list the current average price (+ $.01 I assume) it's currently at $5.66. Click that, and you will see all 10 apps turn black, you are purchasing them all.
To compare, the button below is "pay what you want". Enter a number under the average price (so I entered $5.65) and you'll see all the apps turn grey, except the bottom two, "screens" and "find any file". That's all you'll be getting.
So either click "beat the average price" or pay a higher price if you are feeling generous, and you will get all 10 apps

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I paid $6 and got all the apps. As long as you meet/exceed the average you'll get the lot.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I know as of 4:24 eastern that everytime I try to purchase, I'm getting "Unknown Error." Multiple attempts, all the info is right.

Edit: Found out yesterday, if you try to use Explorer (at least a slightly out of date version on my work computer) to complete the transaction...you'll get the above error. It might be any version of explorer...when StackSocials tech support got back to me the didn't ask what version. They just said either Mozilla or Firefox would be better. (Ended up finishing it from my Iphone, no troubles.)

Last edited:

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Just got this deal as well. I basically bought this for RapidWeaver 6 as it seems like something I might wanna play with. Will use WinZip occasionally. CrossOver as well as Scapple might be useful one day too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.