Staff????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WillEH, Jul 10, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Recently locking a file, and I saw this at the bottom. It has myself, staff, and everyone.

Who is staff? AppleStore staff? they have a special login or something? and can I get rid of that account? Not sure if I want them to access things I've locked, etc.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No of course not! Have you checked the Accounts section of System Prefs?

Yes, just highlight it and click the minus sign at the bottom of the "Get Info" page.

3. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know "staff" is a user group, that is common in UNIX and doesn't need to be deleted.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

:apple: Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

Owner, Group, Others

Abbreviations like "rwx" and "r-x" describe the permission for one user or entity. The permissions set for each file or folder defines access for three entities: owner, group, and others.

• Owner - The owner is most often the user who created the file. Almost all files and folders in your home directory will have your username listed as the owner.
    • Group - Admin users are members of the groups called "staff" and "admin". The super user "root" is a member of these and several other groups. Non-admin users are members of "staff" only. Typically, all files and folders are assigned to either "staff," "admin," or "wheel".
    • Others - Others refers to all other users that are not the owner or part of the group for a file or folder.
    Since each entity has its own permission, an example of a complete permission set could look like "-rwxrw-r--". The leading hyphen designates that the item is a file and not a folder. Folder privileges appear with leading "d," such as "drwxrw-r--". The "d" stands for directory, which is what a folder represents. Figure 2, below, depicts how this looks in the Terminal application.​