Staingate theory....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kal-037, May 27, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    So I was thinking how could several hundred MacBooks get the same problem... I'm sure someone has already thrown this out there but I'll do it too. Has anyone thought if the affected MBPs are ones with dGPUs or... rather if just before having the "stain" the MBPs ran hot. The keyboard and the vents are right below the screen and could possibly cause it to happen. Like say your watching a video or playing a game or whatever, and then you shut off the computer then close the MacBook. There is still quite a bit of heat that accumulated that didn't have time to cool down and maybe that is what has been the biggest cause of the problem.
    Or am I crazy? lol

Kal.

2. Adolf macrumors member

3. Skika macrumors 68030

The big hole in your theory is the fact that it happens on 13" as well.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Google "Watergate Nixon"

Now anything is made into a potential scandal by adding "gate" after it...

5. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I thought so too but the 13 inch gets hot as well.... Eh maybe your right, I dunno I was just playing with my MacBook and it was running warm and I was worried to close it. lol

Kal.

6. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, it appears you have little understanding of computer hardware. The stain issue is nothing to do with heat and it's not a thermal problem. The problem is the AR coating (Anti-Reflective) which has not been applied properly during manufacturing. Over time this shows as a couple of spots and even with a lint free cloth and tap water this makes the issue worse. This has happened on my MBPR and its not even 12 months old. I contacted Apple who have agreed to replaced the display at no cost to me (some $1,400 worth). People are also emailing Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com) with this issue and pics and getting a phone call a couple of days later to say the screen will be replaced at no cost.

Additionally, the heat of these is expelled a the rear - the vents under the base of the display when its open.

7. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Area 51 mystery will be solved certainly before