Staingate - Yes another thread!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoofyCyborg, Nov 21, 2015.

1. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

So I have an early 2015 rMBP which I purchased a few months back, has had little use and is in very good condition...

Now, In all the time I have had this machine only once have I needed to clean the screen. I had a small fingerprint in the corner a few weeks after purchase so I used the microfibre cloth (dry) which came with my rMPB.

I always give the keyboard a wipe after use with a dry microfibre cloth ( courtesy of Specsavers :) ). After seeing the staingate threads and photos, I figure just in case right! ;)

Well this morning, not having used it for a week or so I open and find in the middle of the screen what appears to be a greasy imprint of some of the keys on the display! :eek:

I won't lie, panic set in... This machine cost me £1400 or so! Having owned loads of laptops in the past which never needed babying I was thinking lots of nasty apple thoughts. I was going to grab my iPhone and take some photo's and post them here but thought hang on, calm down...

I went and got the microfibre cloth (apple supplied one) and wet it with water (and only water), I wiped my screen in light and I mean very light circular motion and my screen is like new again. I can't believe it, thought I was screwed!

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I have this frustration too :confused:.... I always check my screen for fingerprints or grease stains. I also clean my screen with wipes for glasses...It works great and cleans very well. No problems so far on my rMBP mid 2012.
    I am very curious if every model has this problem. If there is a risk at every model to have this "staingate".
    How often do you clean your screen ?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

"Staingate" is very likely not as widespread of an issue as some of the posts on here would lead you to believe.

In fact I'm gonna go so far as to say that in the time that I've been a member of MacRumors....no, it's been happening longer than that....a part of the tech community....a different "Gate" has been happening. I'd call it COMPLAINGATE.

Anyway, my 2015 13" rMBP is fine. I don't think I've ever cleaned the screen, it's a bit dusty right now.

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

So this is a minor case but the people with this problem wanted to belive that is a major issue with the retina screens :eek:?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple has sold tens of millions of retina MacBook Pros, and from what I understand there are thousands of reports of this "stain" issue. If you do some quick napkin math and assume that the reported number is 1/10th of the actual number of affected computers, you still end up with less than 1%.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No need to get paranoid, it affects a fraction of units. Community forums by their very nature will attract 100 users complaining about something for single user that posts about how happy they are with their device. For those hundred users Apple probably sold hundreds of thousands of devices.

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Ha! Every customer service dept knows that 10% of the clients make up 90% of the demand. Some people exist to complain, and they're going to find issues with everything they buy.

8. CE3 macrumors 6502a

It's not a minor case if it happens to you. Even a small percentage of rMBP sales still means this could have affected thousands of customers, and Apple initially wasn't agreeing to repair them under warranty. I would've been mad too.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Yes indeed.

I've seen some of this on a number (out of hundreds) of them all under the same roof in our expansive data / engineering center headquarters. It doesn't seem significant enough to warrant the "gate" label, but it's early on and the numbers are growing.

I'd say given that the "Post Steve Jobs Era" has resulted in a softer, quieter, less intense Apple, these types of issues may be the new norm, and that's not going to upset many. Always ripe with apologists, justifiers and supporters readily available to side with Apple, we may be witnessing the new norm.

Just think how beneficial it'll be to no longer have exciting compelling reasons to upgrade annually. Instead to happily postpone buying new products every three or four years, the ROI of our current gadgets will increase nicely.

Google Microsoft and others will welcome in the new softer, conservative Apple. It's win/win.

10. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I see that in this topic are two types of posts :confused: .... Those who claim that it's a minor case and people is complaining too much and those who claim that this is a big problem and is still growing.
    I love forums.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And none of them have any hard facts nor do they want or need them to continue banging on about it wether it affects them or not.

12. CE3, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

CE3 macrumors 6502a

Hard facts? We know the display coating problem exists, and we know Apple recently started a repair program to replace the affected displays. I'm inclined to agree that the issue probably affects a small percentage of rMBP units, but because it's a defect that can easily be classified as user damage, had people not complained online and gave Apple some bad press, they probably wouldn't have connected the dots and started the repair program. If this happened to you and you were being told to pay more money to fix it, you'd be complaining too.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Since they started a repair program, I tend to believe they isolated and solved the issue, so I won't expect it on 2015 models ....