Stainless for OS X | Leopard PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rjcalifornia, Jun 26, 2013.

1. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Anyone tried Stainless for Leopard? It is extremely fast! Like super fast for sites such as facebook or twitter.

Even a super heavy web design that we created, which loaded super slow in Aurorafox/Tenfourfoux, loaded extremely fast under Stainless

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Doesn't Stainless use the extremely insecure native Leopard webkit?

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Stainless is webkit, yes. It's very fast, but other than being able to bookmark it's not really customizable.

4. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Really?

----------

I know... The source is available, so anyone wants to join me and enhance it?

I can put it on GitHub

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But what version of Webkit. The outdated built in Leopard one or the Leopard WebKit by Tobais.

Yep: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2013/02/id-like-to-embed-you-in-worst-way-plus.html

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't think you are going to find very many browsers other than the new Leopard Webkit itself that are using it.

Stainless, Sunrise, older versions of Roccat, Radon, Shira, Demeter and Fluid predate Leopard Webkit so naturally they'd be using the older system versions.

Just depends I guess what your comfort level is. I don't use Aurorfox/TenFourFox because they are secure (or as secure as can be made). I use them because of their expandibility. If Opera 10 was still able to render sites properly, I'd be using that, depsite it's insecurity, as I much prefer Opera.

7. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Hey, do you know where to find out exactly how insecure and in what ways webkit for leopard is?
    thanks!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Go through Apple's security releases. Start with the ones for Snow Leopard. Look for fixes for Webkit. Also read security notices on Webkit's site.

9. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Ok, will do. However webkit2 is being implemented as we speak into webkit for leopard. :)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But it isn't going to replace Leopard's native Webkit, which Stainless and almost everything else uses.

11. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

But you can use one of the scripts that comes with the download to set it as the systems default.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then it breaks some of Leopard's things, most importantly Installer.

13. B-G, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

B-G macrumors regular

It will work fine if you install the stable release. At the moment it is 536.28.8.
    Install is unstable only in series 537, which can still be used as a stand-alone
    application.

As for Stainless, out of the box it uses the default and outdated Webkit framework that came with Safari 5.0.6.
    But if you read the comments from the Cameron Kaiser's post linked above you will find this:

So as long as the Leopard Webkit stand-alone application is present on your system, even if it has _not_ been installed as system default using the shell script, you'll be able to use the updated framework in Stainless.

14. B-G macrumors regular

By the way, you can do something similar with most Webkit based applications, if you use the right Terminal commands. I attached three Automator actions that can be used to launch iCab, PlainView and Roccat with the updated L-W framework, _without_ installing L-W as system default first.
    I'm assuming that the browser you want to use and the L-W application are both in your Applications folder (this can be easily changed by opening the launchers in Automator).

Attached Files:

15. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Cool, how do I do that?

16. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Second! I found it the fastest by far of all PowerPC browsers. :) It's essentially a wrapped Chrome if I'm not mistaken?
    It might not be the most secure, but I don't keep my CIA mission files on my G5 :rolleyes:

17. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

hahahaha you shouldn't post that. Remember there's a man behind that curtain watching everything we post on internet...

:eek:

And if I were to keep such secrets, I would keep it on a PowerPC Mac, because the CIA has Intel Only spy apps lol

18. B-G macrumors regular

Stainless preferences > Advanced > Load frameworks from Webkit nightly build

Now go here:
    http://www.useragentstring.com/
    Under "Web Kit build" you should see the same version number of the L-W release you have on your system. Another test is trying to go fullscreen when using html5 players. It should work perfectly now.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's why we have the Tor Project! :D:D:D

20. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Hey, anybody care to pass me a free vpn here in China? Most of the sites that I want and need to go to are blocked.

21. skinniezinho, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this.
    I installed Webkit 536 as system default, no problems at all.
    Then download leopard webkit 537 and made stainless use, very very fast =)

anyway of importing bookmarks from tenfourfox?

22. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Nope, most of Chrome's code is Intel only like the JavaScript engine.

23. RedCroissant Suspended

Don't do it. Just.......don't do it.:eek:

24. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Why? Done it with 536 and so far so good

25. RedCroissant Suspended

I did it with 537.10 and it screwed up my system. Dashboard, Safari, Mail, Dictionary, and iChat were all broken. even after running the uninstaller script, I couldn't fix it and had to reinstall the OS.