Stainless steel: AW 0 vs AW Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satchmo, Nov 9, 2016.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

If one doesn't need GPS (lighter Garmin for running), is there really that big of a difference between the original and series 2 stainless steel models?

I understand waterproofing, brighter and faster.
    But not planning on swimming, bright enough, and watch OS3 has closed the speed gap.

I mean $350 (Bestbuy w/leather blue band) vs $600 (new with white sport band).

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The battery is 30% larger in the Series 2, which can be utilized with the GPS off. And Watch OS3 has assisted in the speed, but the S2 Processor in Series 1/2, is much faster than the S1 Chip.

3. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I think it comes down to how you want to use it.

If all you need are notifications and aesthetics, then I think there's nothing wrong with a first-generation model.

4. kanselmo macrumors member

I had the S0 sport and bought an S2 SS. While I don't use a lot of third-party apps, I find barely any difference between the two, functionally, apart from the advertised improvements for the S2. Best Buy has some great deals right now.

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Get it for future proofing, I might be called crazy, but watchOS 4 may be the last version for Apple Watch Gen 1

6. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I'm wondering if the original apple watch is going to get supported in watchOS 4.

7. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

If you don't need the series 2 features get a series 1 just for the increased battery life in 3.1 (2-3 days).

8. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I had the same thoughts, and went with the Series 0. I love the looks of the SS model, and want to use it as a notification tool. But I don't want to pay $500-600 for it yet. I feel like there can be a lot of things that can still be improved.

9. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

The battery is a huge difference, as is the overall speed and performance. If you can afford it, it is really a better experience.

10. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

The Apple Watch is still way over priced. You should be able to get through a day on a charge with average activity. Save the money and get series 0.

11. consultant_on_journey macrumors regular

I would get minimum a series 1 with dual core processor.
    To buy "Series 0" is still ok at the moment but makes no sense when thinking about updates in future.

12. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm looking at stainless only. Sadly, series 1 comes only in aluminum.