Stainless steel charger has gone rusty

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RecentlyConverted, Mar 19, 2018.

1. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Hi, one of my Apple Stainless ( that’s a joke) steel chargers has gone rusty. Apple must use a very poor grade of SS for that. I hope the SS in my watches is better. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what to clean it with?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There’s nothing to say it’s stainless like the watch... but clean it with a scotch brite and alcohol after then a quick spray of clear coat.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

First I have heard of the stainless on the puck rusting so there may be something special happening here. A picture would be nice.

5. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyclingplatypus, I attach a photo.

Gav2K, I checked Apples website and you seem to be right. I can’t find them mentioning SS on the charger. As the Americans say, they are nickel and diming customers.

Attached Files:

6. DeltaMac, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

What are you using to clean that puck (there is also a visible stain on the cable)?

I would say that you shouldn't continue to use whatever it is that you use now...o_O

7. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Looks like a planet now!

8. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

There is a lot more to this story than it just happening.

9. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

There was no mention of how it happened, only surprise that it could happen, as I thought it was SS and a request for how to clean it. I didn’t realize Apple were that cheap to put a faux SS bottom on the charger of a SS watch that they had already added a vast price premium to.

10. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

No kidding, thats why I said what I said.

11. csurfr macrumors 68000

Here’s a thought. Don’t let the aluminum charger get wet and then abstain from drying it off. o_O

Edit: that includes charging your watch in the shower.

12. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Jupiter, to be precise.

13. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I am unsure how it happened. I have multiple watches and about 7 chargers. The chargers are kept in different areas (of the country) as I am all over the place and like to ensure my watch is always sufficiently charged wherever I am. This one was in my workshop. Possibly exposed to damp, which would not be a problem with high quality SS. Maybe this is some kind of cheap alloy.

My solution then, is to use it in one of my watch stands, so the rust can't be seen.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    I did think that. Might be the start of a craze!
    You joke, but I bet someone has, or will try and charge the watch in the shower. Recently someone died whilst powering their iphone in the bath. Bad enough if they had used a long cable from an Apple PSU (outside the bathroom) - 5V. But no, they had the PSU plugged into a mains multi socket reseting on their chest!

Anyway, the charger isn't aluminium or apparently SS.

14. csurfr macrumors 68000

When I said “shower” I actually meant on the vanity countertop. Not IN the shower. You know, steam and such.

Why is it that you don’t believe it’s aluminum?

15. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

All the aluminium corrosion I have seen has a white bloom, this is an orange colour reminiscent of a ferrous metal.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I looked at your photo and enlarged it. Some type of moisture came in contact with the charging puck area and corroded it. I have never observed this before. If you look at the charging wire leading up to the puck, there’s even rust/corrosion on that as well. There’s no other explanation of what could have caused that besides moisture or an environment that puck was consistently exposed to moisture.

17. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no doubt moisture is the culprit, I am just surprised Apple cheaped out and used a cheap alloy on the charger of a premium smart watch. I was after a cleaner as I had tried a SS cleaner to no effect. Initially I didnt realise it wasn´t SS.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My Other advice would be not to use that charging puck any further. You don’t want any of that rust/corrosion on the actual puck interfering or getting on the back of the Apple Watch. I honestly have no complaints about the material Apple used on the back of the stainless Apple Watch charging puck. It’s never give me any issues and I certainly don’t put it in an environment where there is lots of moisture.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That looks like a sugary drink like coke has been spilt

20. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

The white plastic which touches the watch has no stain. The unit hasn't been submerged or anything like that so works fine (the unit looks fairly waterproof from a teardown I saw - covered in epoxy). Unlike you though, I am disappointed with the material.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Take some sandpaper to it? See if it buffs out?

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m not trying to instill an argument, but you’re disappointed with the material or you’re disappointed with the fact that somehow moisture corroded the back of the charging puck material that could have been prevented. Regardless , of all the existing Apple Watch charging parks on the market, I would say yours is a very minute situation that’s very rare. Again this a result of moisture, its not just the material itself being affected widespread with other Apple Watch charging pucks. Either way, I personally wouldn’t use that charging puck anymore, but that’s your decision to do so.

23. RecentlyConverted, Mar 19, 2018

RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be ok on the bottom, as it has a brushed effect, but it is also partly on the side which is polished.
    I am disappointed. For the price difference of AW Sport to Apple watch SS i could buy over 30 cheap stainless steel digital watches, Apple charges a ridiculous premium to go from Sport to SS. I accepted this price difference and paid it. I am shocked they didn't use SS on the charger.
    I dont drink fizzy sugary drinks, only I use the workshop. I am sure dampness caused the problem.
    I am disappointed with the material- if there hadnt been damp there wouldnt have been rust, but if the unit was HQ SS and there was damp, there still wouldnt have been rust. Any way, I now no longer have a charger in my workshop.

24. Relentless Power, Mar 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I just don’t agree with your argument. The fact that you’re claiming the back of the charging puck should be stainless really is a moot point. I think you’re just disgruntled that negligence played a role in the way your charger was affected by moisture and you’re trying to divert the blame to something else because it happened to you. The majority of those who charge their devices don’t expose them to moisture or around environments with water.

25. RecentlyConverted thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can think what you like. If your happy to be Nickeled and dimed by such a large company, then you must be in your own eutopia.