Stainless Steel - Irregularity in the metal?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JD92, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Hi all

I got my Steel Apple Watch today and it's great, but I've noticed that the steel which sits underneath the watch face seems to have a slight irregularity to it. The curved steel looks perfect, but where it comes to a flat surface just next to the display it feels as if there are two slightly raised points. I asked the guy in the Apple Store and he said that this was normal and that only the curved part is polished, and that this part next to the screen isn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Attached Files:

2. Repelle macrumors regular

That almost certainly is a manufacturing defect.

The lip immediately below the screen edge should be smooth and even.

Sorry, looks like a replacement is the order of the day.

3. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

Thanks Repelle, you're absolutely right. I reserved another one online to be sure they'd have one for me, returned it and the new one appears to be perfect.

4. diesel macrumors 6502a

I hope you laughed at his ridiculously stupid response and asked for a refund or an exchange immediately.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep my flat area next to the screen is not like your. Glad they saw it your way!

6. Repelle macrumors regular

Glad the replacement was ok. It amazes me what Apple employees will tell people just to try and get them off of their case (pun possibly intended)

7. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

They didn't actually see it my way! They squinted at it and agreed to give me a refund, but no one actually acknowledged that it wasn't the way it should be.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, my first watch was like that, in fact it seemed as though machining was off on mine, it had other sharp edges and the straps kept getting stuck when I removed/added them.

It stopped charging last night and today returned it for another one, and the new one is much better. It doesn't have those irregularities around the screen like yours, has no sharp edges, and the straps slide in and out much easier.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Glad you got it resolved. For further reference for anyone else, no that's not normal. Mine isn't like that. Nor my husband's. That's the sort of rough edging I have been seeing on poorly machined third party watch band pieces over on the Apple Watch accessories forum.