Stainless Steel - Irregularity in the metal?

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi all

I got my Steel Apple Watch today and it's great, but I've noticed that the steel which sits underneath the watch face seems to have a slight irregularity to it. The curved steel looks perfect, but where it comes to a flat surface just next to the display it feels as if there are two slightly raised points. I asked the guy in the Apple Store and he said that this was normal and that only the curved part is polished, and that this part next to the screen isn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

Repelle

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Andover UK / SF CA
Hi all

I got my Steel Apple Watch today and it's great, but I've noticed that the steel which sits underneath the watch face seems to have a slight irregularity to it. The curved steel looks perfect, but where it comes to a flat surface just next to the display it feels as if there are two slightly raised points. I asked the guy in the Apple Store and he said that this was normal and that only the curved part is polished, and that this part next to the screen isn't.

That almost certainly is a manufacturing defect.

The lip immediately below the screen edge should be smooth and even.

Sorry, looks like a replacement is the order of the day.

Reactions: JD92

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
That almost certainly is a manufacturing defect.

The lip immediately below the screen edge should be smooth and even.

Sorry, looks like a replacement is the order of the day.
Thanks Repelle, you're absolutely right. I reserved another one online to be sure they'd have one for me, returned it and the new one appears to be perfect.

Reactions: Wackery and Trin813

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Hi all

I asked the guy in the Apple Store and he said that this was normal and that only the curved part is polished, and that this part next to the screen isn't.

I hope you laughed at his ridiculously stupid response and asked for a refund or an exchange immediately.

Reactions: JD92

Repelle

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Andover UK / SF CA
Thanks Repelle, you're absolutely right. I reserved another one online to be sure they'd have one for me, returned it and the new one appears to be perfect.
Glad the replacement was ok. It amazes me what Apple employees will tell people just to try and get them off of their case (pun possibly intended)

Reactions: Wackery

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Yep my flat area next to the screen is not like your. Glad they saw it your way!
They didn't actually see it my way! They squinted at it and agreed to give me a refund, but no one actually acknowledged that it wasn't the way it should be.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, my first watch was like that, in fact it seemed as though machining was off on mine, it had other sharp edges and the straps kept getting stuck when I removed/added them.

It stopped charging last night and today returned it for another one, and the new one is much better. It doesn't have those irregularities around the screen like yours, has no sharp edges, and the straps slide in and out much easier.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Glad you got it resolved. For further reference for anyone else, no that's not normal. Mine isn't like that. Nor my husband's. That's the sort of rough edging I have been seeing on poorly machined third party watch band pieces over on the Apple Watch accessories forum.