Stainless steel replacement backing for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gnguyen, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gnguyen macrumors newbie

Anyone have any leads on a stainless steel replacement backplate for the iPhone 4? I have found a few links to vendors on eBay and web sites that carry replacement backplates, but none of them seem to say if it's steel or aluminum.

I specifically want stainless steel, and specifically a replacement backplate, not a stick-on skin for the current backing. I would like to find this because I have a few of those camera lenses that use magnets on the ends to attach to the case. Usually you use adhesive to place a metal ring on the case to receive the lens, but if the backplate were magnetic metal in itself, that would be much more convenient.

2. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

This was up on gizmodo today - not entirely sure what kind of metal it is, however...

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-beveled-back-cover-blacksilver-metal-insert-p-10351.html

3. hokka macrumors regular

I know where you can get a s/steel back skin, check out: http://www.iamleaf.com - it's super thin and removable also.

FYI, true s/steel is not magnetic, if it is then it's not stainless and will interfere with the compass, I think the eBay listing you see are all aluminum. Same with the CNN linked site, aluminum brushed finish.

4. krick macrumors regular

I'm no metallurgist, but that's incorrect. It just so happens that the most common type of stainless steel (austenitic) is non-magnetic, but there are various types of "true" stainless steels that are magnetic.

5. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Does not appear to have a flash diffuser. Buyer beware...

6. pablo7 macrumors 6502

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

8. candoal macrumors newbie

I donno man, if you study the images closely you'll realise the "bevel" part actually add at least 2-3mm to the back panel (because it's all plastic with a thin aluminum "skin"), have you wondered why there are no photos of the panel on an actual iPhone? Because it'll look like a turtle :D

Don't know about you, I bought an iPhone 4 so it's not thicker than a 3GS, beveled or not, I like iamleaf.com designs much better

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It looks great on the iPhone what are you talking about?
    http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/2010/10/19/change-your-iphone-4s-glass-back-with-metal.html

10. candoal macrumors newbie

TURTLE! :D:D:D

Good to see you're pimping your blog, j/k man yeah they look ok, still adds unnecessary bulk, better solution than those aluminum bumpers I guess… also don't you void your warrantee if you did that? I know you will say just put the original glass back when done but that's not the point.

11. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

magnets and electronics don't mix you noob

13 bucks. hmm might get a black one to test reception

12. OC513 macrumors 6502

13. emachine87 macrumors member

emachine87

Has anyone in this thread actually ordered one of these metal iPhone 4 backs? I'm being cautious this time around bc I bought a similar product but it eneded up being just a sticker. I'm really liking this back case so if anyone has one plz leave your comments regarding quality and overall look. Thank You

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes I did and it should be here in a few days. I asked the seller what type of metal is it, and he said it's aluminum.

15. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

16. Neoaucourant macrumors member

If and when someone does get this can you see if there is a protective lens over the camera.

17. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

any updates?

18. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

in for the review. I like this back plate and want it but I need to know if it
    blocks signals etc and also if theirs a protective glass over the camera lens and flash.

Edit: on cnn.com it mentions that the back plate comes with the camera and flash lens all ready in place, cool.

20. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

One has to be nuts to place a metal back on the iPhone. Even Apple didn't do that on the 1st gen iphone; the antenna was under the black plastic portion of the phone...and that didn't even work that well.

I'd be interested on RF reports from people that have used the metal backs.

21. Ati007 macrumors newbie

22. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Are you aware the metal band around the iPhone 4 IS the antenna? Or have you lived under a rock for the last 6 months of media blasting? The back will in no way affect signal.

23. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Be serious. Of course I know that. Placing a metal plane behind the metal band of the antenna will have an influence on the iP4 antenna's isotropic radiation pattern that is not easily measured by bars or dBm's on the ip4. Even more so when your hand touches that metal plane.

I'd be seriously concerned and cautious. Apple chose the materials on the back of the iP4 to be RF transparent. Choosing a metal RF reflective plane affects the antenna's design in a way that Apple didn't design for.

24. xraytech macrumors 68020

Uhm... Where were you when Antenna Gate Happened?

25. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I was posting right here on MacRumors about my experiences with 'antennagate' on my iPhones and the effects of 'palming' non iPhones such as my Nokia 6230 for MacRumors (see my lead story Macrumors video here Nokia6230). Your hand produces a detuning, reflective and RF shadowing effect on the SS band any cell phone antenna. After that, Apple started posting there own videos on their web pages for other phones as well.

So far none of the posters here seems to have purchased one of these metal backs, or reported on any results. That is too bad, I'd be curious of the results. Cell phone antennas are affected when held to your head or with your hand because you are a 'bag of salty conductive water'. A metal plate is even more conductive than water. That is why I'd be concerned. It will effect the radiation pattern of the phone. It is hard to predict whether it will be serious or not. Certainly the metal cases that cover the IP4 SS band have been mostly a disaster from the postings I've seen on Macrumors too.