Stainless Steel scratching and solution

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Technodynamic, May 27, 2015.

1. Technodynamic, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I have the 42 mm Milanese Loop and an admittedly open OCD regarding cleanliness of my watch and a perfect shine. I use a micro fiber on it a few times a day and I notice anything if its different.

One day, it seems like I scraped the section near the top, just above he sapphire glass with a dozen+ micro scratches all about 2 mm long.

Ironically, I had ordered on Amazon the product that was shown in that youtube video for polishing metal: [​IMG]

...for $4.97.

I just want to report back that this product is great for the SS Apple Watch and it restored the watch in a matter of perhaps 2 to 3 minutes (warning don't use on aluminum Sport Watch). In fact, with my OCD I have re-polished the watch a few times. I would highly recommend it as monthly/periodic maintenance. to maintain the shine like the day you got it and to make your watch scratch free.

How to video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb8LFt4MI0

2. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

My god people throw the term 'OCD' around far to easily.... so disrespectful.

Anyway, the has been shared around but good for those who missed, I need to get some! :D

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds great but people should be warned to not use this on their Sport model of it will leave a big shiny spot where that scratch used to be!

----------

May be disrespectful in some places but it fits very well in these forums.

4. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

There is a difference between having OCD and wanting to keep a £500+ device in perfect condition.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Being OCD has nothing to do with the OP. BUT, there are people here that really do have a problem. Hope you are not one of them who has to try and correct what others do or say?:confused:

6. Teejus macrumors regular

most people polish their watches once a year....once a month is a little much...

7. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

He mentioned it in the first line XD

Just gets tad tedious lol

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I understand. The Internet demands that we all grow a little thicker skin. Sometimes you need to just get away and give it a rest. I wonder what it is doing to our kids who do not know what it is to not be on the Internet?:rolleyes:

9. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Anybody with experience with this stuff know if it would scuff the sapphire if you rubbed a bit too close to the screen?

10. Technodynamic thread starter macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I added a warning in the first post about not using it on the Sport Watch. Thanks.

----------

I rubbed it on the sapphire a bit and no issues at all. Not sure how the polish works, almost seems like it is chemical in nature... the cloth turns black almost instantly where I rub the polish on the steel. Steel looks great and the polish is gone quickly.

Use very little polish imo.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is not a chemical that makes it work it is an ABRASIVE suspended in a paste. The black is the actual residue left from abrading the stainless steel. To get a scratch out you need to remove the surrounding material to the level of the scratch.

12. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't have OCD (as I don't know them and I'm not a doctor), but I think some people confuse OCD with OCPD.

Sorry to stray from the thread topic, but I just figured I'd share this.
    Thanks, -J :)

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Actually, people are confusing OCD with anal retentiveness. The proper term to use is anal retentive.

14. LKN macrumors 6502a

Might be stupid question but if you continue to polish the watch daily, are you removing some of the stainless steel surrounding from the watch each time??

Will it eventually start to wear down the steel from the watch? Lol

So after years of polishing the layer of steel will be thinner as you have removed so many layers?

15. Subdiv macrumors 6502

So it's perfect for all metals except for some metals?
    ;)

16. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Anal retentiveness is on the OCD spectrum. Yes, I completely pulled that out of my ass, to which I am very retentive.

17. McPhallus macrumors regular

All this OCD/OCPD/anal talk seems a little OCD to me.

18. Glene macrumors 6502

Absolutely correct, this stuff with a power cone on a cordless drill is great for stainless exhaust pipes on my classic car, rub a lot , gently, with a microfiber and the watch will shine.

19. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

I had my watch since the wave of shipments and so far I only have a few tiny scratches that you can only see when the watch smudges are wiped clean with micro fiber cloth and only when u look very closely.

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm going to order these Cape Cod metal polishing pads I saw on Amazon. People said they're better for polishing the watch because they just have a small amount of the polishing compound already embedded into the cotton cloth and it works great. They're reusable and I think the $5 two pack package on Amazon should get me through at least a year if I polish every couple months. They have another one that has like 10 or 12 cloths for around $15. If they work well I might get that next time. The nice thing about the pads is that you don't have to get gunk everywhere or worry about putting on too much and getting it wedged in the mic opening or digital crown area or something.

21. HussRainbow macrumors regular

HussRainbow

thoughts on using this stuff on the Space Black SS? Not that mine has scratches, but just wondering how it would go with the DLC

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I wouldn't.

23. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Polishes work by using small abrasives to smooth out the surface of a substrate. Basically it's like sanding down the top-most layer to a smoother finish.

Since the DLC is a coating, it may work...until the DLC layer wears away and you expose the metal underneath. So I would not do it.

I wouldn't even use it regularly on the SS. I would only get it polished periodically if you really need it.

24. HussRainbow macrumors regular

HussRainbow

Yeah, didnt think so, I have my polishing cloth and thats fine

25. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Picked up the Spigen watch case for $15 to prevent scratches at work. Also got this leather band for $30, both on amazon.com

Attached Files: