Stainless Steel - Space Black or?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ivanwi11iams, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

If you have an Apple Watch Stainless Steel, is there a big difference between the Space Black and just the Stainless Steel?

Is it merely down to possible scratches? Thanks

2. IphoneIssues, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Scratches on the Stainless Steel can be polished out. The Space Black is harder to scratch, but if it does get scratched, it will stay that way.

I have a Space Black Stainless Steel.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The three major differences are weight, SS body appearance (shiny vs matte), and screen scratch resistance (sapphire vs. glass).

For me, I noticed the difference in weight and preferred the sport version. Also, I wanted the black finish, and that was not available in the SS (other than the $1,100 link SKU) when I got mine. If I had to do it again today, I would probably buy the sport again.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

OP is asking about Space Black SS vs. SS, not SS vs. Sport.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Great catch; I overlooked that. Glad you set the thread back on track.

6. the future macrumors 6502a

Also, there are way more bands that match the regular SS vs. the Space Black. I think both look really sharp but chose the regular SS for its versatility wrt bands.

7. Doth macrumors member

Doth

This is the only reason I picked the SS rather than the SB SS!

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I picked the SB simply on it looks. Have a stainless but seldom wear it anymore.

9. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

BSS I feel goes with most of the bands. The watch body looks great blacked out. Although the regular SS looks just as good.

10. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I managed to find a SS SB on sale with a sport band...

11. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Let me know if you ever go running with it, or to the gym. I'm curious as to how the weight, feel, and look of it impact your experience. The weight of the SS/SB is almost double the weight of the Sport version, and so I'm interested in your feedback.

12. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I've got the SB SS with the link bracelet and while it's heavy, you get used to the weight. I use my AW as my primary fitness tracker (walking, jogging) and the weight really doesn't bother me. When I have swapped out the link bracelet for either the sport band or the nylon band, I notice the weight difference but only for a few minutes.

13. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Thanks for the response! My plan would be to use it with a sport band at least for working out. So you said during jogs there isn't a whole lot of weight felt on the wrist?

14. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

Actually, it's not that bad. If I know I'm going to get really sweaty I put on the sport band. A good, "breathable" option is the Milanese Loop. The Apple SB version is expensive but there are plenty of third-party options out there for a lot less.

15. JDnLex macrumors newbie

I had a space gray sport 42mm (before a tropical storm took it away) for 6 months that I replaced with a space black SS 42mm during a Best Buy sale. I definitely noticed the difference in weight when running, actually more than I expected.

It's by no means unbearable, but it does make me wonder if I would have been happier with another sport. I do like the improved screen durability. I managed to scratch my sport screen within 3 months, because I'm a klutz.

16. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

I've got a 38mm SB SS with the sport band. I run with it all the time and I don't even notice it's there from a weight perspective.

17. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

My 42mm SS is lighter than my Garmin Forerunner 410. The aluminum model would be even better, but I think the steel model is just fine.

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be using it mostly during gym use and shorter-long runs (like 2-7 miles). I'm pretty mindful of things when I use bars so I'll probably just take it off for those exercises. Good to know that it's definitely noticeable when compared to the sport model; with the weight being double (aluminum is very very light) I'm not surprised, but I'm also glad to hear that it's not bad for normal length runs.

If I cared more about my runs nowadays I may consider the sport due to weight reduction - but for now, the Space Black just looks tooo good :p
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    Further question: anyone have any comment on screen durability for everyday use? I'd assume the sapphire screen is more durable against nicks such as those from keys, grains of sand in pants pockets, scrapes against furniture etc. Is the Sapphire more or less visible than the Sport model's glass in direct sunlight? Aside from that, I think the sport has higher impact resistance, but one would assume that's not very important due to how rare you'd hit your watch straight on.

19. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It depends a lot on how sensitive you are to weight while running. The Apple Watch is pretty heavy for a fitness device, but it is not crazy heavy. I bought the sport, because I noticed how much lighter it felt than the SS. My mac daddy Garmin 735XT weighs half of what the AW sport weighs and about 40% of what a SS weighs (with a sport band). Heck, even the piggish 410 that another person referenced weighs 15g less than the AW sport and 25g less than the SS.

I have run hundreds of miles with my AW sport, and it is OK. But, I prefer the lighter GPS fitness watches out there for running. Perception of the weight is all user-dependent, though.

Regarding your other questions about screen durability, this is also highly user-dependent. I have worn watches every day for decades. I have never done any kind of material damage to a screen whatever the screen material. I have had my AW Sport for more than a year, and it is flawless. Similarly, I have had dozens of cell phones without screen protectors, and I think I may have only minorly scratched one screen, and that was a plastic screen. So from my point of view, claims about screen damage resistance are more theoretical than practical, unless you are rough on a watch screen.

20. BarracksSi, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

My 410 is lighter than my SS AW? I believe you (I hadn't looked up the numbers, TBH), and you're right about the perception, too. The 410 feels heavier because, I suppose, it's bigger and doesn't sit as closely to the wrist.

Also, the 410's back isn't as smoothly contoured as the AW's, so it just doesn't feel as nice on the wrist (the optional velcro strap helps, but it soaks up sweat like a sponge and needs to get washed when I'm done -- and because it's a pain to swap out, I've left it on the velcro strap for the past three years).

Neither the AW or 410 are as heavy as my Seiko SKX009 mechanical dive watch. That thing's a dense little hunk of steel. ;p

21. rdavis41 macrumors member

rdavis41

Another factor I'd point out is that the regular Stainless Steel watch gives off a fairly substantial sun glare IMO, as the Space Black does not. I switched from the regular to the Space Black because of this. I've had Stainless Steel watches before and this was the worst in regards to Sun Glare while driving that I've ever had.

22. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah it will definitely depend on how much I notice it. Looking at the Garmin 735XT, their website says it weighs about 40G, which puts it about 10G less than the SS apple watch, but 15G heavier than the Sport apple watch, so not sure if I was looking at that wrong, or if you got your numbers wrong. The numbers I got were 25G for the 42mm Sport apple watch, and 50G for the 42mm SS apple watch; this was just for the case though, I'm not sure how much a sport band would add to that weight. https://support.apple.com/kb/SP735?locale=en_US

I don't think I'll be hampered by the SS/SB weight, but I'll certainly try them out at the store and swing my arms around just to find out real life circumstances.

I agree about screen durability, I also don't scratch anything so that's not a concern. What bothers me is the sapphire display's visibility when compared to the sport model, but those are the sacrifices you have to make for sexy SB :p

23. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The weights of the AW you are looking at are without the bands; the sport bands are heavy. The total weight of 735XT with band is 40g. I was looking at this site for total AW weights. http://robservatory.com/the-all-in-one-apple-watch-spreadsheet/#prettyPhoto

I just weighed my 42mm sport on a postal scale, and it is 58g with the black OE band. My OE blue band by itself is 30g. So, that sheet is probably off. Regardless, the AW sport in its lightest form is still heavier than a sport watch.

I have a number of OE bands and clone bands. The silicone clone bands are lighter than the Apple bands and more comfortable for workouts from a weight point of view.

Also, back to the weight perception comment from above. The perception of weight is affected by how the weight is positioned on your wrist and how susceptible it is to moving with you.

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Oh wow, yeah I didn't consider the sport bands to weigh that much, but here we are. That spreadsheet seems a little off, considering the same exact watch, size, and bands have weight differences of over 10g just from color change lol. Aside from that though, it helps. I would have assumed leather to be much heavier than the sport ones - but it seems like the leather ones are actually lighter in most circumstances, probably due to potentially smaller footprint; depending on design.

Right, closer to wrist contributes it to feeling more proportional than if it's loose and contributes to more off center weight - I'd think.