Stainless steel vs Aluminium

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, May 8, 2019.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Those who have the SS are you happy with yours and those who upgrade regularly you think it’s worth the price to have the SS

My first apple watch was SS but since upgraded to the Aluminium versions.

Will your next watch be the same? I do like the lower cost but have to admit tempted my next watch to be the SS as it does stand out and look nice

2. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

The SS can be more rugged. If you are hard on watches that might be a good way to go. Also if you plan on getting cellular on the watch, the SS includes that, while it is an added cost on the aluminum.

3. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I own 2 aluminum models, S2 and S4. I would prefer the SS version but have not purchased for a few reasons. First, I don't intend on using LTE until the monthly fees become more attractive. I just don't see the value for my needs and use case. So I don't want to pay for a chip that I'm not going to use. Still that stainless case calls to me, they are sharp.

When the watch becomes more mature and improvements between releases are more incremental I may opt for a SS version. Until then, aluminum works for me.

I've mentioned this before in previous conversations. I attended another conference recently (business casual dress code) and noticed many executives wearing the aluminum watch with nothing more than a sport band. Add to that the numerous other smart watch options I observed.

4. shakopeemn macrumors newbie

Of course it's a personal preference and financial position. Apple watches are not jewelry and have a limited lifespan related to OS updates. IMO, a watch that has a big black screen absolutely doesn't look dressy, despite the bezel or wristband.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I both have a S4 Stainless and an S3 Aluminum.

In my opinion, the Stainless looks nicer -- dressier and more elegant. The aluminum version looks sportier. They are both nice, so on looks, take your pick for whichever look you prefer. For myself, I will stay with the Stainless.

6. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

OP, rather than soliciting opinions from people you don’t know, on an issue of personal preference, would it not be better to check the watches out in person?

Everyone’s needs and desires, regarding the AW are different and valid. I think too many who post regarding purchase questions about the watch are looking for consensus validation. An exception would be for those who are purchasing their first AW and might then not know about the strengths and weaknesses of the various models.

7. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

To me it’s all about look and feel - Steel and sapphire just makes it a whole different level to me... But that’s just me, people have different wants and needs.

I also HATE screen scratches so the durability of the sapphire is amazing

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Errr no

I’m not asking to justify anything I’m asking a simple question to see what others are likely to do and what others do has no impact on what I may do...think you are looking too much into what this topic was made for

Being curious about what others think on the product has nothing to do with my own

This is a forum for opinions and questions

9. jz0309 macrumors member

I had S0 and S3, both aluminum, they both had scratches, both on body and display ... I take care of all my electronics but do not pay extra attention when wearing a watch, so I bang against other objects, I also wear the watches while mountain biking ...
    I have the S4 SS and after 7.5 months of use no scratches, looks pristine. That to me is worth it.
    The looks, to me don't matter, but that is a personal preference

10. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Ss looks and feels better on the wrist than the aluminum. It’s also more versatile depending on the bands, the fact that it matches the iPhone XS is a plus.

Don’t know if I’m going to upgrade to the series 5, might just wait for the series 6.

11. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

The SS is definitely a more premium product. It's heavier on the wrist and more durable than the aluminum model. It wears more like a traditional analog watch, especially with a link bracelet.

Of course, the decision is up to you, but my rule of thumb is get the SS if you plan on keeping it for a few years. If you want to upgrade more frequently, go for the aluminum, because the SS depreciates like a rock in a year.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I prefer the look of the Stainless Steel model and the greater durability of both the case and the Sapphire screen.

I started with a Silver Stainless Series 0 and it was still going strong when the Series 4 launched so I did not have to update, but chose to because I liked both the Gold and Space Black stainless colors and really liked the larger display.

I fully expect to get at least three years from my Space Black Series 4 stainless, so the higher cost is worth it to me.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a strange response. Isn’t that the purpose of a discussion forum? Is to find others opinions and values of what (i.e) they think, suggest, like/dislike? I’d say it is. For the record, you don’t have to ‘know’ anyone like someone’s opinion or make a purchasing decision with somebody that has more knowledge on a product, which happens all the time on a site like this.

OP: I think the majority on here know the Pros and cons to the stainless v.s. aluminum, even though the stainless does drop in value significantly, I prefer the aesthetics and I think Apple uses a quality grade stainless 316 L that has a nice weight to it.

14. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I wrestled with this also. But the conclusion I came to is that I didn't want to spend the money for cellular and since it is a product that I will eventually have to upgrade, I didn't want to invest too heavily it. I had the Series 3 Aluminum Cellular and traded it for a Series 4 Aluminum non-cellular, I notice zero difference in my daily use case. I do love the bigger screen though. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

My opinion - try them on and see what looks and feels best to you.

My first watch was a Aluminium Sport. Next was a white ceramic. Now I have Black stainless steel with the black Milanese loop.

Personally, this is the nicest looking one I've had.

16. GDF macrumors 6502

This is my first Apple Watch, ie just got a Series 4. Purchased Aluminum first and then exchanged for SS. SS is definitely better and I do feel better that it won't scratch as easily and I also think it looks nicer too. However, I could have lived with the Aluminum version too. :)

17. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

I had a SS Series 0. I just couldn't justify the extra $300 for SS for a Series 4, so I got the Aluminum version, which has paired up nicely with my Milanese loop. It's not quite as nice as SS, but not really a big deal for me. So far, no scratches or dings on either the face or the case. And I don't baby it, either.

18. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

My decision to get the SB SS, revolves around its relative durability. The SB Milanese Loop is my only band. I am careful to place the watch on its side, when charging.

I recommend the Apple Charging Dock. Much easier for me to negotiate then the puck that comes with the watch.

Can I clean the watch and band by running it under water from the tap? I am looking for a way to clean the band that does not involve removing it totally.

I can easily remove it from the “loop side”. Is that sufficient?

Thanks

19. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I went from a SS2 to a SS4. I really hated to spend the extra money on something semi-disposable like a smart watch, but I am notoriously hard on watches and do prefer the look of the SS models. I expect I'll be upgrading every other model for a new battery, new features etc. so it adds up. If it was a Rolex that I'd keep forever I wouldn't think twice about it. But the relatively short time I'll likely keep an AW does make me think about it.

20. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I have a question. I purchased an S4 in February. I ride the stationary bike for half an hour, five times a week. Light use otherwise.

How long might the S4 last, before I have to replace the battery?

21. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I have seen estimates between 2 and 3 years. When I traded in my S2 after 2 years it was not holding a charge as long as when it was new but I was still able to make it through a day on a single charge.

22. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

As long as it makes it through until bed time I am ok. I charge it over night.

23. jz0309 macrumors member

Supposedly Apple says it will retain 80% of it's original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles, if you were charging fully every day, that would be ~ 2.5 yrs, but that does not mean the battery will have to be replaced.
    I do ~ 45min stationary bike every day and ~2hr MTB rides every Sat and Sun, typically I only need to charge every other day, so estimating 200 full charge cycles/year, the battery should retain 80% for 5 yrs, I doubt that I will keep the watch that long ...YMMV

24. Relentless Power, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Chiming in on this. Battery life is one the most subjective features on any tech device, why? Because if you have irregular charging patterns or you don’t charge the device frequently, let it drain completely regularly (Which is not recommended FYI), then over the course of time, the battery life will be shortened.

One of my rituals with Apple products, let alone any tech product, I try to charge it frequently, never let it completely drain, and my lithium-ion batteries have lasted for years well past there expectancy. It’s all about battery maintenance.

25. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I prefer the look of the SS, but not for the retail price. The aluminum has all of the same functions. Try to find the SS gently used and save some $$, if you can. I got mine for about what you'd pay for the aluminum with cellular and taxes.