Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MileHighPilot macrumors member

my yeti bottle is great

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I've been using plastic bottles Pogo or something like that. I have to wash them every other week or so, depending on how often I use them. My wife uses the stainless steel ones and wow they get nasty quick. Probably doesn't help that the water at our house is undrinkable and even with a refrigerator water filter, it still doesn't quite get everything out. But yeah, the stainless steel bottles get gunky/moldy 3x quicker than my Pogo clear bottle.

The only problem I have with bottled water is that our local Vons seems to think that putting it out in the sun in the front of the store is fine. This makes the water taste like plastic. So I have to buy the more expensive Aquafina or Dasani in the back (inside).

I'll look at a Yeti. Here in Los Angeles - water bottle refilling stations are popping up all over the place.

My goal is to go back to my pre-marriage weight this year, so drinking water is going to be a huge focus for 2019. Best wishes to both of us. :)

3. mollyc macrumors 68000

I love Yetis and drink my daily water from a huge 30 oz Rambler. I also use a smaller Yeti for coffee.

4. Zenithal, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 603

Oh nice. I haven't seen that before. I just looked at their site and they have more models then I recall them having about five years back when I purchased my last one. Do you have any experience with their larger units such as the 64 ounce bottle or the half-gallon/gallon?

I'd want to see it and inspect it in person, but that gallon one is mighty interesting. Price is a little high, but I think it would be worth it, especially when you can get a decade's worth of use out of one.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2018 ---
    You need a home RO unit or opt for a water delivery service or get your own 5 gallon bottles filled and you place them in bottom loading dispensers at home somewhere out of sight. I forget where you live but I think it's somewhere in Orange? I think the worst tap quality I've ever seen was in the high desert or San Diego. Best is probably near Mammoth. I'll still run it through a basic filter like a Brita, though.

For stainless steel or plastic water bottles, cleaning with a water solution and a drop or two of bleach works. You can also try hydrogen peroxide which should foam up that gunk and lift it. I use hydrogen peroxide for a lot of gunk cleaning because it works fantastically and it's a pretty good drain cleaner when used often enough. It's cheap and safer, too.

5. Pntblnk macrumors member

The large 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon Yeti bottles are very awesome but they are PROUD of them at the register. Check out the RTIC version for 1/2 the cost. We’ve got a selection of YEti and RTIC bottles and both seem to perform about the same. I noticed that Walmart also has their version of the 1/2 and 1 gallon size bottles. No experience with those.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yeti will keep my ice longer then klean kanteen their direct competitor. but they are a fair amount heavier too that's my big complaint and not nearly the colors. but the lids are more durable and leakproof. I have had too many leaky klean kanteen lids or the straw ones that don't work well.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Just ordered a 19oz yeti. Black rambler. 19 oz for 2019. Not leaking is a must for me. I’ve had contigo bottles leak. I carried my 32 oz pogo bottle into the California science center in LA today. They made me prove my bottle was leak proof by turning it upside down. Lol. The place was littered with bottle refill stations. Loved it.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I use this method to make sure they don’t fall out of my packs. Overkill but they are easy to take off and on. [​IMG]
    t
    [​IMG]

9. mollyc macrumors 68000

My husband has a larger yeti with a screw top handle lid that he uses for yard work in the summer. keeps things cold enough for him for the few hours he needs it.