Stains on Macbook Pro 13 Inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frnak, Mar 16, 2010.

1. frnak macrumors member

frnak

This is an issue I'm starting to notice on my 10 month old Macbook Pro 13 inch.

There's this "white stain" on both palm rests of the MBP. Here's some sample pictures:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1350/sample1i.jpg
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6863/sample2z.jpg

It cannot be cleaned off by wiping it, water, rubbing alcohol, etc.

Note that I clean my MBP daily, even hourly, I always wash my hands and dry them before using this laptop, therefore, I know it's not a matter of sanitation.

Does anyone else experience this issue? If you do, why is this happening?

Thanks!

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

I certainly hope that the same thing is not happening underneath the MOSHI palmguard I installed for my MBP :(

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You need to choose a more appropriate title.

And cleaning with alcohol could be causing your issue.

4. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

The stain appeared prior to any cleaning with alcohol. I've also dissolved the alcohol in water to make it less concentrated.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

It could be the start of aluminum pitting. This can occur with some people due to their skin's pH.

It happened a little bit to my 1st gen iPhone, so I put a Moshi Palmguard on my MBP to prevent this from happening to it as well.

6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Do you have sweaty palms? Palmar hyperhydrosis could also cause this due to a reaction between the salty sweat and the aluminium.

7. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

I do have excessive sweating on occasions using the MBP. However, I do wipe it constantly, in between use, and after usage.

If that is the case, is there any way to fix it? Will apple subject to such issue?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Apple won't replace it under warranty, if that's what you mean.

Really though, look into the Moshi Palmguard. It looks great on the MBP, and you also don't have to worry about your watch scratching the aluminum palmrest.

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Exactly what I was thinking. I use myMBP at work everyday and I notice a white-ish tint on the palm rest or anywhere sweat touched the aluminum. I noticed this the first day and quickly grabbed a lysol/clorox antibacterial wipe and quickly cleaned any "sweat spots" i saw. I just keep the wipes container on my desk and clean the casing 2-3 times a week.

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do. Sometimes, I suggest using talcum powder over the palms, but I'm not sure if this is really beneficial in your case. It will prevent this staining, but you will probably also get talcum powder over your keyboard.

You can also use protective devices like a body guardz or invisible shield transparent film or the moshi palm guard, but none of these options are going to reverse the damage that has already happened.

In any case this is considered normal wear and tear. Apple shouldn't create problems for you because of the staining, when you take your system in for repair.

11. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

I've bought a wireless keyboard, to prevent any way of touching the palm rest with my hands. And I guess if it's a chemical reaction that cannot be undone, i might as well prevent further damage.

It really is a shame, though, that a professional laptop have problems like this that HP or VIAO doesn't have...

12. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

You should probably use kleenex next time, it will solve your problem ;)

*9 replies and no jokes yet? You guys are dropping the ball

13. Surely Guest

Surely

It happens to such a small percentage of the population, you can't really blame Apple for this. That's what happens when they use a chunk of pure aluminum to make the body.....

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

That had to be more than just buying a rest guard. Why do this to yourself? and this has to be much more inconvenient.

Still your thread title is weird, and you made me feel unsure about opening your pictures. :eek:

15. Aboo macrumors 6502a

frnak, I think your best bet (and a cheaper option) would be for you to get a Moshi palm guard. These are pretty much the same color as the aluminium unibody, and they are professional looking.

Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VGSEcHHyo

16. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

lol, I know...after posting, I kinda thought it would sound weird, but MacRumors won't let me change the title...

17. alskdj macrumors member

I'm also experiencing a similar issue, although my stains are probably the result of something else :p

18. Surely Guest

Surely

You can change the title:

On your first post of the thread, click "EDIT", and then click "Go Advanced". You should be able to change the title at that point.

19. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

basically people with palms that sweat a lot should get a palm guard or something so they will not have an incident like this correct?

20. Aboo macrumors 6502a

In short, yes.

21. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

I know what you've been up to.
    You know what you've been up to.

Just clean up better next time or do the deed elsewhere.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

In a little longer, no.

It's not about too much sweat. It's about your skin being a certain pH that causes the aluminum to corrode. It started happening to my MBP, and I don't have sweaty palms.

But yeah, the palmguard is the solution.

23. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

You have sweaty palms or at least hands that harm the case.
    I suggest to wipe your macbook every day with a moisturized cloth.

I saw this happen with a friend of mine and we both have the same model.
    Sadly but true, this is nothing Apple can do about, this happens on any laptop.

24. Aboo macrumors 6502a

You're skin's pH is actually pretty much neutral - 6.9-7.1; this is salt corrosion.

25. Surely Guest

Surely

No. The skin's pH is around 5.5. It is slightly acidic to protect from the elements and from harmful bacteria growth.

Not everyone has the exact same pH. It varies from person to person.