STALKER Clear Sky

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ol3s, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

Every time i try installing stalker on my macbook using crossover the computer stops responding, is there any way to solve this problem.

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes. Forget crappy emulation software and boot into the real thing, namely: Windows. Maybe Stalker's copy protection won't work in Crossover, maybe it's a DirectX issue, maybe something else. We probably won't ever know and we shouldn't care either. Buy a Windows license, create a Boot Camp partition and simply play the game on the system it was written for.

(And don't forget that STALKER is an extremely buggy game, no matter how many patches they throw at it.)

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

lol I'd have to agree with this guy. I just installed stalker chernobyl on my boot camp partition, ran fine

4. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I love how everyone in this forum is so d*** cross with posters when it comes to questions like this.

WE ALL GET IT, WINDOWS IS BETTER FOR GAMING BECAUSE IT'S NATIVE. :p Some of us dislike the time and stress of using two operating systems. Why buy a Mac if your gonna spend all your time in Windows? I wish we could establish a forum policy that states "Windows is always faster and better for gaming seeing as how all programs are coded for Windows/Direct X APIs and are not made for OS X sans WoW." Then we don't have to get the same response in every single thread in this forum.

Anyway to answer the OPs original question, have you checked the Crossover Compatability forums? They usually have some helpful info where you can trouble shoot your problem and see if your game is even supported by the Crossover Devs, get info about the WINE HQ status of the game (Crossover is just a WINE system with a fancy GUI tweaked for OS X), etc. The URL for the Compatability Center is: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

Also if you legally bought or acquired a license for Crossover Pro or Crossover Games you can always open up a support ticket for free and have the Developers help you. Good luck mate.

5. ls206 macrumors newbie

your running stalker on your macbook?? what settings do you have and what fps do you get?
    :p I love that game, but sold it along with my PC (to buy a MBP, I didn't think it would be able to handle it)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd eat a hat shaped cake if a Macbook could run Clear Sky in anything other than Bootcamp.
    My Macbook (one of them new fangled ones too) can just about run the first Stalker under Bootcamp with med-high settings!

And "stress" of having 2 operating systems, what delicate lambs we have :rolleyes: Either way my Macs have the best of both worlds! XP for gaming and apps that haven't been ported, OSX for everything else.