Stall on OS load - "Waiting for Apple File Service"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shadowbeam, Apr 6, 2008.

1. shadowbeam macrumors newbie

This is a question regarding a G3 machine.
    Running on 10.3.9

Problems began to occur when someone tried to install Safari 3
    After the install safari wouldn't load - same goes for the application Adium.

Now on startup the G3 stalls at 'Waiting for Apple File Service'
    I'm in a situation where the tiger disk (i got with my G5) cannot be inserted because G3 can't read dvd.

I have also installed tiger onto my ipod using it as a disk and connecting it through firewire. However when i boot up using option then selecting my ipod on the G3 it tries to install tiger.

So now i'm thinking would the disk be any use anyway?? How can I boot up?
    I know it's running 10.3.9 as an OS but the machine is practically tiger.

Should I install tiger? Is it illegal to use the G5 install disk on another comp?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For future reference, do not let people who know no more about the Mac than you to mess with your machine. Safari 3 should not have even allowed this attempt. Your friend must have done something more [dangerous].
    It is well-known that the disc that ships with new computers are specific that that model. They cannot be used to install MacOS X on other models.
    It is not an OS installation disc, it is a System Restore disk. It's purpose is to return a computer to its factory state should that ever become necessary.

Recommendation: Have someone who knows what he/she is doing to install a larger capacity hard drive in your computer. Use a retail MacOS X 10.4 disc to install the OS. You will then be able to use Software Update to update to the latest version of MacOS X including Safari 3.1.

3. shadowbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

I see...
    Well I should tell you more of the story.

After the attempt to install Safari 3 safari wouldn't open.
    So I downloaded an old v of safari and reinstalled. But the same prob occurred. Safari wouldn't load and adium experienced it too.

But that doesn't really matter au moment.
    So I don't have a commercial tiger - but I do have a commercial Leopard!
    I'm thinking possibly a step too far for my wee G3 to handle.

Plus I'd have to install from my ipod coz i ain't got a dvd drive.

Thoughts...