Stampede for cheap iBooks in Henrico

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
From news reports, it sounds like there was a stampede of people trying to get the $50 iBooks and several people were injured. Maybe its a good thing it was only open to Henrico county residents. No telling what would have happened if everyone had been able to show up for one.

Its just a shame people got injured over those old beat-up computers.

EDIT: I haven't seen seen print reports or anything on the net yet, the news has been running on radio stations in the Norfolk/VA Beach area of VA.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of reminds me of the famous wedding dress stampede and sale ... except with less violence.

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Well I was about to be one of those people if they didnt cancel it. I personally think we should blame the people in charge of organizing this. they had a pretty long time to think about crowd control which was the "reason" to limit people outside of the county to come in. Oh well.

P.S: I bet if the crowd were not dominated by the cheap laptop mentality and were actually Mac aficiandos none of this would have happen (yea right) :)

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Believe it or not, it made CNN. It was a short little blurb, but it was on there. Naturally, they show the little, crying girl being pushed around. I wonder if the county's attitude towards standing in line reflects how they treated those laptops.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I saw the headline about a stampede for cheap laptops. One of my first thoughts was, hmmm, I wonder if this was those $50 iBooks. Sure enough....

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i was just about to post this, as i just read it on cnn.
pretty insane what people will do to get a cheap computer (even if it is an apple). some lady even urinated on herself in line.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
So I'm just curious if any MacRumors folks actually showed up at this. I know a bunch of people were talking that they would.

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
When I heard about this sale in June I thought it was a perfect opportunity, until I found out how old the iBooks were. It also would have been a twelve-hour drive, just to get there. Luckily, I am typing this on my new tax-free iBook inside my house--not a hospital.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I htink the people are right who said this doesn't sound like Mac people. It sounds like the customers who used ot come into the computer store i used to work in wanting you to show them the cheapest computer we had, no matter how stripped down and piece of crap computer emachines or whatever it was.

I bet half the ocmputers don't even get used when the people find out solitare isn't already installed.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Yes. I heard about that. A school was selling the old iBooks. It was told on the G4 Tech TV show Attack of the Show. I hope the elementary school sells their iBooks for $50. Ill buy 3! My sister goes to that school and the ibook specs are

iBook 12" screen
500 MHz
256 RAM
OSX Panther
2 USB ports
1 Firewire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.