stand alone 8800 shipping

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by doastler, Feb 22, 2008.

1. doastler macrumors newbie

Just a note to let everyone know that the stand alone 8800 are near shipping.
    My credit card just got charged and I ran Apple store and they said that I should be getting it sometime next week.
    Cant Wait.
    David.

2. donharriss macrumors newbie

donharriss

Great news! I've been waiting to hear this since Jan 9th. :)

3. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

LOL, yah, being months late for a graphic card release that isnt all that compatible with the mac pro lineup, isnt exactly 'great news' especially when you take into consideration that the card is near obsolete as the 9xxx series geforce cards are being pumped out.

my next 'mac pro' might as well be a hackintosh, no point in buying a mac after being told by steve 'spin doctor' jobs that it will be upgradeable when it really isnt. f**k that.

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If all that you care about is gaming, leave. The Mac Pro isn't for gaming. OR, stop complaining and run Boot Camp and then you'll be able to use ANY GRAPHICS CARD OUT THERE in Windows. There's no need to run any better card than the 8800 GT in OS X anyway.

6. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Unless you want to play Crysis in crossover :rolleyes:...

7. randyhudson macrumors regular

Yeah, listen to the guy with an :apple:Apple ][e :D . I knew I was throwing my money away when I bought the ][c!

But seriously, you're telling people with 8 cores that they should settle for second best in the graphics department?!? Video cards are not just for running games. For quite some time it has been possible to use your GPU to encode video, which is one of the most common tasks thrown at a Mac Pro.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

When did you order the card?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, that's a very valid point. But ungraphic was talking about running a Hackintosh... and he talks of obsolescence when the card nearly trumps the GTX/Ultra.

Seems that he has a bone to pick with the ungraphic nature of Apple.

10. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Near Obsolete?!?! Are you high? The only 9 series card out there is not as fast as the 8800 GT?

11. doastler thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Just to let you guys know that i ordered it on the 15th Jan
    Seems so long ago
    looking forward to playing crysis, call of duty 4 and bioshock in between using final cut of course lol

12. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

To be honest with you, it is a waste of money to get Crysis. Sure the game has god graphics, but that is all it has. The actual plot and game play does not warrant the price tag.

13. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I strongly disagree. While the game itself doesn't bring anything radically new to the gameplay department, it is still very enjoyable. And the level of realism provided in the gameplay - fully destructible environments, dynamic lighting and textures, HUGE amount of fully explorable map area - make it simply amazing to play. The graphics simply accentuate the amount of freedom you have within the game - in fact, I haven't played a game with a comparable level of realism then Crysis so far.

COD4 might have more action-packed gameplay, Bioshock might have a more compelling storyline, but Crysis is nonetheless right "up there" with it's advanced realism and vastly enjoyable graphics. (although after you get to the aliens it does become rather uninspired)

14. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I am one of those old school people who believe that there is more to games than graphics apparently. I prefer playing CoD4 and Bioshock over Crysis any day. Both of them have better gameplay and awesome graphics. Bioshock pwns Crysis with its far better story line and with its creative gameplay, and no one is bitching about it's graphics.

15. Norco macrumors regular

I've been playing COD4 via Bootcamp on my 2600 xt since I got my new Mac Pro, and it runs quite well. So not having the 8800GT yet won't hold you up from playing either COD4 or Bioshock.

16. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I have never run a benchmark, but I do believe that Bioshock is more graphics intensive then CoD 4.

17. doastler thread starter macrumors newbie

games

Hi again
    Thanks for the terrific comments.
    I do have all of those games waiting for me in their packets.
    I have not tried them yet as I have a 30 inch ACD display and it may be to much for the current 2600.
    Is it possible to use the second 19 inch monitor i have to play the games.
    I am using 64 bit vista ultimate so i can get access to my 8 gigs of ram and use the 3.2 8 core processors i have.
    Also it will be interesting to see if the current card works with the 8800.
    David

18. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I couldnt agree more. Crysis is 2007's let down of the year. Graphics are very good, but require a Cray II and once you get over ooohing and aaaaahing over the graphics, you discover there is next to no gameplay. Once you're done with single player, multiplayer awaits to massively disappoint.

19. ouphe macrumors regular

I'm still having a ball with Civilization 4:)....who's with me!