Stand alone desktop version of MS Office 2016

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pndrgnsvc, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Pndrgnsvc, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Will it be possible to buy a stand-alone desktop version of Office 2016?

What I want is no subscription, no 365, no cloud, etc.; just like the olde timey Office 2011.

2. Ulenspiegel, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Your question is absolutely understandable. I also prefer the "olde timey" type of MS Office.
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but judging from the new policy of MS most probably it will be subscription based and relying heavily on cloud.
    Here is a thread about the new MS Office: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1852342

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

MicroSlop hasn't advised on this yet. My company participates in their HUP (Home Use Program), and being able to get the latest version for cheap is a huge benefit. We'll know once the finished product is available (which begs the question - is any Microsoft product ever truly finished? :eek:)

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

6. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I don't think anyone knows. I believe they will probably keep a standalone version available because some people still have connectivity issues. But they certainly will be promoting their 365 version.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Beyond connectivity their are users that don't want their emails, access credentials, etc. stored on the MS could, or any other cloud that is not under direct control of their organization. I deal with a lot or private information and store it on an encrypted drive and would not feel comfortable with MS having either the information or my access credentials since the information can be compromised.

Right now the new Outlook requires a 365 login and thus I have not tried it out.

8. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Many thanks to you all. Your insight, links, and even musings are most beneficial and are indeed appreciated.

Alas, it seems there are many unknowns and even that which we think we know is subject to change...

Still, I know a bit (a rather large bit) more than I did and can now follow some of the similar threads with a tad more knowledge.

Again, my thanks!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, Microsoft is still selling stand alone versions of MS Office for the PC. So I think that shows that they will continue to do the same for Mac Office.

Adobe is basically going all in on the subscription model (With only Lightroom being sold as stand alone but its so buried on their site its almost impossible to find). Microsoft on the other hand hasn't dropped the hammer [yet]. They're still offering versions that are basically perpetual licenses, i.e., pay once and keep as long as you want.