Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a new 13" unibody MacBook. I am looking for a good stand / cooler combo that can sit sit on my desk. It would also be a bonus if it was portable and could also be used on my lap for when I'm sitting in the living room.

Any suggestions??

jmann

macrumors 604
This is what I use. It works great, and a handle comes included for free!! :D
DSC_1103.jpg

That's what I use for my "stand" :)

MacUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
This is what I use. It works great, and a handle comes included for free!! :D
[*]

That's what I use for my "stand" :)

Thanks, but a box doesn't really fit the requirements of a stand or a cooler. Glad you took the time to provide some valuable info.

Doesn't really meet ALL your requirements, but I use the Rain mStand
I love it

[*]

Thanks for the suggestion MacDawg. I've actually seen this one before and considered getting it. I was hoping to find something like this with a fan or some sort of cooling feature though.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion MacDawg. I've actually seen this one before and considered getting it. I was hoping to find something like this with a fan or some sort of cooling feature though.

No need to worry about cooling really. The Unibodies do a pretty darn good job of keeping themselves cool..

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I did use a cooler with 2 fans cooling the Unibody but found little (sometimes no) difference in temp! It seems it does a good job on its own without the extra fans!

I am using the Griffin Elevator atm...

elevatorlaptopstand.jpg

u can take it apart to easily take it around with you... but it wont sit on ur lap :(

I haven't really seen a stand/cooler which can really act as both a stand/cooler and a lap rest...

MacUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I did use a cooler with 2 fans cooling the Unibody but found little (sometimes no) difference in temp! It seems it does a good job on its own without the extra fans!

I am using the Griffin Elevator atm...

[*]

u can take it apart to easily take it around with you... but it wont sit on ur lap :(

I haven't really seen a stand/cooler which can really act as both a stand/cooler and a lap rest...

Wow.... that looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I always heard about MacBook heating issues, but maybe I'm making it out to be a bigger issue than it really is.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Wow.... that looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I always heard about MacBook heating issues, but maybe I'm making it out to be a bigger issue than it really is.

The heat issues are/were with the plastic cased models, because plastic is a better insulator than conductor of heat. The aluminum case lends itself to very good thermal transfer.

MacUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
The heat issues are/were with the plastic cased models, because plastic is a better insulator than conductor of heat. The aluminum case lends itself to very good thermal transfer.

My old MacBook Pro 17" aluminum gets REALLY hot though....

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
My old MacBook Pro 17" aluminum gets REALLY hot though....

Can't help yah there. I just know my 13" Unibody stays way cooler than my G4 iBook or my girlfriend's 2ghz HP laptop (running the previous gen 2ghz C2D from the last 2.0ghz macbook) which always has a fan running.

Germwise

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Seriously, a few extra degrees won't make your laptop last less time.

also isn't uncomfortable to have your laptop up on a stand? afterall, your desktop keyboards sit on your desk...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Most laptop coolers have tiny fans that make noise but don't really do any cooling.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Glad you took the time to provide some valuable info.
No need to be snarky...

This is what we've been using for stands on our iBooks, MacBook and 15" MBP:

23961_PE079431_S3.jpg

IKEA Magasin chopping board. Nice size, wood is a very good heat insulator, fits on your lap, on your sofa, in your bed or other soft surfaces and it's also stable on hard surfaces, like tables, the floor or a desk... oh and these too comes with handles... :)

So don't mock a solution just because it's a bit outside the box... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.