Stand/Dock With Connection to HiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hexa-db, Sep 17, 2010.

1. hexa-db macrumors newbie

I have a 4g Touch on order and I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a stand/dock designed for connection to a hifi. I don't want a dock with built-in speakers, just a stand with phono/RCA cables that I can connect to my stereo system.

I've seen stands & docks with speakers but not anything like I want. Should I just buy a stand and a suitable cable separately?

On a different (but related) note - I do like those aluminium stands that mimic the iMac style though, would look really cute next to my iMac :D

2. jon3543 macrumors 6502

The Apple Universal Dock fits the bill. Well, at least it's got a 3.5mm output you can connect to your stereo with a cable that ends in stereo RCA plugs, which you'll have to provide. You'll also need to supply an extra sync cable, because it doesn't come with one, unless you want to move the one that came with the iPod back and forth between your computer and stereo, AND you'll need to provide a USB/AC adapter to plug it into so that your iPod will charge while docked. I think the dock/iPod combo sounds fine, and the remote control is handy, allowing me to pause/play and switch between tracks. The one thing I don't like is that the iPod seems to remain on the last track it played once it's finished an album or playlist. This means you can't just press Play on the remote to start from the beginning. My Zune HD and Sync Dock got that part right.

Receiver manufacturers like Denon and Onkyo make docks, too, but I think it would be unwise to buy one of theirs, as they're more expensive and lock you into their receiver. My Pioneer Elite receiver came with a special iPod cable, but that receiver is in the wrong room to do me any good, and people are reporting the 4th generation Touch isn't working right with the Pios anyway. The Apple Universal Dock seems the safest bet all around. On second thought, once you buy everything necessary to use the Apple Universal Dock as it's intended to be used, you've probably spent as much as you would on (say) a Denon dock. But it's still the safer bet.

3. hexa-db thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that - I saw a few posts on a HiFi forum suggesting that it was better to go for something that connects via the iPod's multi-pin connector rather than headphone out so I may just look for a suitable cable for that and buy a stand separately.
    It's only for occassional use though so I'll see what I can find...

The hardest part was not knowing what such a device would be called - I always thought of docks as being devices with speakers built in.

4. bass93 macrumors regular

5. jon3543 macrumors 6502

To be clear. the Apple Universal Dock connects only to the iPod's multi-pin connector. It does not connect to the iPod's headphone jack. I forgot to mention, the Apple dock doesn't come with the right insert for the 4th generation Touch. If you care about the naked Touch fitting just right, they'll sell you a three-pack for $9, though. Sadly, the Touch itself doesn't come with an insert.