Stand for rMBP (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aniseedvan, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Hi

I'd appreciate some thoughts on a reasonable stand for my new rMBP. This will be used whilst I'm in the kitchen, to elevate it from the worktop, primarily for reasons of spillage (!) but also to make it a more comfortable viewing angle. I may well need to be pressing the keys so a wobbly stand is rather out.

I've been looking at the ones on the UK apple store, and am not overly convinced by the TwelveSouth ones, given how expensive they seem - even if it would be covered by my £60 gift card. The better of the two seems to be the ghost stand, but would like to know some thought if anyone owns one, or something better?

2. Nemic macrumors member

I use The Roost stand, they were a Kickstarter campaign, and now they sell direct.

http://www.therooststand.com/

I bought from them and they shipped to the UK with no issues whatsover.

This stand looks ungainly and unstable but in fact it is the exact opposite.

It lifts my Macbook Pro retina nicely high above the desk, and puts the screen at a very good height for viewing.

The Macbook hangs onto these small clips that slot into the gap between the keyboard and screen. Once it is in place the whole structure is VERY stable, hitting it or knocking it causes no issues. And due to the clip placement, it would be almost impossible to knock the laptop off the stand - it has to be pivoted up from the keyboard and then lifted off the clips.

It can also hold up to 132 lbs weight so a Macbook Pro is no issue.

I really like this stand and I am very pleased I bought one.

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Hello,

I personally have the Twelvesouth HiRise and I must say, I'm very pleased with its quality and it's height adjustability. Perfect to have it display video or use with wireless keyboard and mouse.

4. Greg1fraser macrumors member

I use the twelve south Ghost stand no issues very sterdy and looks good

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

mStand by Rain Design. We use them at work. They also do one with a turntable on the bottom so you can pivot it.

6. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all. In the end I used the gift card for a trackpad (so no messy kitchen fingers on the laptop trackpad!) and went cheap on the stand - got the ikea £3 stand and slotted on some pipe lagging to the bottom lip - protects the bottom of the mac, plus the lagging flattens the incline to about the right height, bearing in mind how far the screen tilts back.

Not very classy, but hopefully it'll serve the purpose of keeping the mac clean (my iPad case got filthy very quickly...).

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod