Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Apple Watches stand feature is really useful. However, I was in a two hour lecture recently, and found it very annoying, also in the cinema. How about an option to turn off alerts, like a Do Not Disturb for activity type button. I know it can be turned of in settings, but that is annoying to turn on and off every time.

Last edited:

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Apple Watches stand feature is really useful. However, I was in a two hour lecture recently, and found it very annoying, also in the cinema. How about an option to turn off alerts, like a Do Not Disturb type button. I know it can be turned of in settings, but that is annoying to turn on and off every time.

Wait, I'm confused. Are you talking about an automatic silent mode? You can swipe up from the bottom of the screen to activate Do Not Disturb right now...?

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
I don't have mine yet but I think there should be already an option for this. I also read that you can turn on a setting where your watch will go in DND mode when your iPhone does and vice versa.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I'm not talking about DND. Notifications are still useful. But it's so annoying to think "oh a message" but it's actually a stand up notification which is impossible

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
Apple Watches stand feature is really useful. However, I was in a two hour lecture recently, and found it very annoying, also in the cinema. How about an option to turn off alerts, like a Do Not Disturb type button. I know it can be turned of in settings, but that is annoying to turn on and off every time.

If only Apple would somehow inform us of the Watch's various features and functions and how to use them...

WATCH: User Guide

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I'm not talking about DND. Notifications are still useful. But it's so annoying to think "oh a message" but it's actually a stand up notification which is impossible

OH, so you're talking about a "Do Not Disturb for Activity Alerts specifically" button, right? As it stands now (no pun intended), there is no way to quickly silence those Stand-up alerts specifically without going through Settings.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
If only Apple would somehow inform us of the Watch's various features and functions and how to use them...

WATCH: User Guide

Read my above post. You've misunderstood.

----------

OH, so you're talking about a "Do Not Disturb for Activity Alerts specifically" button, right? As it stands now (no pun intended), there is no way to quickly silence those Stand-up alerts specifically without going through Settings.

THIS is what I mean!

enderg

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Oh, you mean Stand Up for Health Notifications not a Cool Stand?

So no cool stand for my mythical apple watch, one that charges and looks cool but not pretentious or cheap.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
THIS is what I mean!

Glad we cleared that up! Unfortunately though I can't think of any solution that would silence activity alerts and ONLY activity alerts. Your only options right now are to turn off the Activity Alerts completely, and then turn them back on afterwards, or to Do Not Disturb all your notifications.

I can see how what you're asking for would be helpful. Maybe Apple should include a "lazy" mode where all activity alerts/notifications/reminders are disabled :p

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Glad we cleared that up! Unfortunately though I can't think of any solution that would silence activity alerts and ONLY activity alerts. Your only options right now are to turn off the Activity Alerts completely, and then turn them back on afterwards, or to Do Not Disturb all your notifications.

I can see how what you're asking for would be helpful. Maybe Apple should include a "lazy" mode where all activity alerts/notifications/reminders are disabled :p

Haha! It's so frustrating that I can't achieve my stand goal because of a lecture. #

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
If you just shake your wrist around for a few seconds, it counts as a Stand because the watch knows no different. Just got credit for one this way with a sleeping baby in my arms!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.