Stand + Mini Display + DVI = Worrying

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ryanfong, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ryanfong macrumors member

Hi guys,

I dunno if you are suffering this problem if you use your macbook connected to external display..

Basically, the DVI adapter is quite heavy, if you are using your macbook on a stand, the whole stuff will just be hung there. I'm so worried about the mini display port on the macbook itself will become loose.

Anyone has any solutions?

Cheers!

2. ryanfong thread starter macrumors member

erh....Good suggestion mate...but it ruins the whole sexy Apple scene...

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, I'll try a serious answer, the downward pressure on the cable should provide enough friction to prevent the cable pulling out, all of the force is down, not out. The other thing you could do is try and suspend the weight of the cable somehow, or maybe tuck the cable in behind somewhere.

As long as the computer isn't moving you should be fine, as long as nothing can snag on it.

4. delsvr macrumors newbie

Hey, OP. In case you were starting to feel alone: yes I have the same concerns.

To the first responder, we're not so much worried that the cable will come out as we are that the downward pressure may loosen the socket perhaps causing, at some point, the soldering to wear, rendering the port entirely unusable. The Mini Displayport is designed in such a way where the female connector (technical term) has a receiving board that feels like it could snap or come off with the force of the male plug.

Two and a half solutions:

1. Give up the stand. Lay the MB flat on a table, level with the DVI cable.

2. Hold up the DVI cable with a stand. I used a tissue box before. I've found other things that work that don't look as crude.

3. Wait for some kind of Mini Displayport extension cable (not available yet). Apple has tried to make it easy for third-party manufacturers to develop with the Displayport interface. Hopefully something like this (that's light) will be out soon.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share. Thanks!

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I would definitely just prop it up with something... Do you have an external HDD or something?
    It won't affect the LOOKS that bad, and it'll give you some peace of mind..

6. tthf macrumors newbie

use an x-stand (the one for the iphone/ ipod touch).

a bit of an over kill but would sweetly match that m-stand (i assume)

7. ryanfong thread starter macrumors member

Cheers mate for your reply..I'm using your No.2 method..hold the plug with two cigarette boxes..lol..I should definitely find something more elegant..:)

8. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I was suprised how short the adapter cables were. They need to be at least 5cm longer really. I'm hoping that someone will come up with a solution soon. Even on the desk mine gets in the way.

9. manuel.mx macrumors member

what kind of stand you have?

I have a griffin elevator one, and I recall a pic from someone else's setup with that stand and had the similar situation.

I found his solution interesting, and I'm gonna do the same too. He folded the adapter and pasted it under one of the stand arms, right below the computer. The Adapter is bent like a U and it remains stick to the arm. You can use velcro to stick to the bottom in case you need to use it.

So that way it is easy to remove in case you need to take it.

I think it is also a good way to avoid a cable mess and have a lot of cables on the view.

Im attaching a quick sketch... I suck at drawing.

Good luck

Attached Files:

10. delsvr macrumors newbie

Genius! :) I have that very same stand, and this solution is great. Some notes for anyone who wants to give it a shot:

- I used clear masking tape instead of paste to strap the adapter under an arm. It may come off in time, but the adapter is still pretty light so the tape is fairing well so far.

- You may want to paste/tape the DVI head instead of the adapter under the arm so that the wire is long enough to have your Macbook centered while resting on the stand. I'm using a plain Macbook. I don't know how far out you'll have to stick it with a MBP.

So this worked out great, and it doesn't look bad at all either. Thanks for the suggestion (and the drawing).

PS - for anyone with the mStand by Rain Design, it looks like you might be able to do this trick too.