Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haldol5RN

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
How the hell is the watch supposed to know that you are sleeping ...

I just got my Apple Watch a little over a week ago and I am trying out 2 different sleep tracking apps. So to answer your question smart a$$. I have two apps running simultaneously to track my sleep, I think that should be a pretty good indication that I am "trying" to sleep!!
[doublepost=1483431538][/doublepost]
The watch does not know you are sleeping, but if you have hit your stand goal already the watch will keep silent.

If the DND setting does not disable the stand reminder, the only other option would be to disable the stand reminder when you sleep in the iPhone Apple Watch app.

I had two different sleep apps running when I was woke up with a stand reminder. It was at 3am. I had reached my stand goal for the previous day. Not sure why it would start my stand reminders at 3am!?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I just got my Apple Watch a little over a week ago and I am trying out 2 different sleep tracking apps. So to answer your question smart a$$. I have two apps running simultaneously to track my sleep, I think that should be a pretty good indication that I am "trying" to sleep!!
[doublepost=1483431538][/doublepost]

I had two different sleep apps running when I was woke up with a stand reminder. It was at 3am. I had reached my stand goal for the previous day. Not sure why it would start my stand reminders at 3am!?

Boy you sure told them! You should not call people a smart a$$ when replying to an over two year old thread!:p

Reactions: d123 and cmbauer

db67fm

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Because on my iPhone I have the bedtime settings set from 10:30pm - 5:30am.
My watch even alerts me that it is time to "go to sleep" at 10:30pm and it wakes me at 5:30am.

I shouldn't have to set another "do not disturb" to stop the 'time to stand up" alerts.

I believe its just an over site when designing the software and it hopefully will be changed with updates.

I feel the same way about the "time to stand up" while driving. If I am using Waze or Google Maps on my iphone to navigate it should prevent the watch from prompting me to stand up. Just my opinion.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Because on my iPhone I have the bedtime settings set from 10:30pm - 5:30am.
My watch even alerts me that it is time to "go to sleep" at 10:30pm and it wakes me at 5:30am.

I shouldn't have to set another "do not disturb" to stop the 'time to stand up" alerts.

I believe its just an over site when designing the software and it hopefully will be changed with updates.

I feel the same way about the "time to stand up" while driving. If I am using Waze or Google Maps on my iphone to navigate it should prevent the watch from prompting me to stand up. Just my opinion.
Aren't iOS apps (and I presume WatchOs Apps) sandboxed for security reasons?
Your navigation app or sleep app wouldn't be able to tell any other app what its doing or if its even running?
The way I see apps sharing data with other apps is through the sharing panel which only have a few options and are manually activated.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I sleep with my watch using Pillow app.

I either have never woken up due to stand reminders, or DND hours on my iPhone carry forward to the Watch (what I figure).

MNight75

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Simple.... You tell it you are sleeping.
No, NO, you don't say "Siri, I am going to bed."
In the Clock App, BedTime you can enter yourBed time and wake time.
The fitness App doesn't bug you during these hours, nor does any of the other apple reminder to do stuff apps like breathe.
[doublepost=1506496619][/doublepost]
How would the watch know you are sleeping?
You tell it by setting the bedtime in the clock app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.