Standalone Gps or Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpep, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jpep macrumors member

Was thinking of the standalone TomTom. I have a certain model # I want to get, or the App for the Iphone4. The standalone will cost more, but the app is it worth it? Then most likely I would have to get the car kit mount.
    Also the standalone is a 4.3 screen size.

2. Fisher624 macrumors regular

The Tom Tom app is great. Especially on the ip4. It is very fast and responsive if you miss a turn or choose to ignore a direction.

3. jpep thread starter macrumors member

Is it turn by turn? will it announce the route?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have had Navigon since release on my 3GS. Damned fine GPS unit. Think of it as one less gadget you have to haul around.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I would go with the navigation unit. They tend to work better over all. If you use the app and get a phone call you have to unmount it from your car and what not.

6. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Tbh even before the sat nav apps, my 3G superseded both the standalones (tt and garmin) I have.
    Pretty obvious really, but you almost always have your iPhone with you. The mount keeps it charged, so you'll find benefits to plugging in anyway. If you park, you tend to remove the sat nav at least from display.
    With the apps (and car kit), there's really no contest.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I use Copilot rather than TomTom, but it works fine in my car without a mount. I even keep it placed on the central console rather than up on the dash.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have a stand alone Garmin and installed Navigon on my i4. I'll be keeping both. The stand alone is great for long car trips since it'll just sit on my dash. The Navigon is great for short trips where I'm trying to get directions fast. I have to say though that the i4 picks up my location A LOT quicker than my stand alone.

9. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Multitasking, suspend, handsfree (speaker / Bluetooth / speaker in cradle)
    That's not been a problem; even if you have a separate unit, you still need a handsfree way of taking the call. May as well be combined functionality.

Although; I don't know what kits the iPhone4 will work with, nor how well the nav apps multitask on it. (3G doesn't do multitasking, and wasn't previously available. Still; the standard call screen works well enough)

10. mikejfrd macrumors regular

If you travel day to day for a living then get a stand alone GPS unit. If your like me and just use GPS from time to time, then the Navigon or Tom Tom ap will do the job great! The iphone 4 does a great job with GPS imo over my 3GS.

11. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

You could get the Garmin Phone. I heard it's just as good as the iPhone 4.