Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
GNU Midnight Commander is a file manager/editor/ftp client.
It's a feature rich full-screen text mode application that allows you to copy, move and delete files and whole directory trees, search for files, and run commands in the subshell. Internal viewer and editor are included.
This package will not interfere with macports installs, and does not require macports.
Download here
User manual for those not familiar with this awesome utility. http://www.linuxcommand.org/lc3_adv_mc.php

MC-Leopard.png

Cheers

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
This is radically cool !!! I remember the days I used Norton Commander abs under FreeBSD midnight commander and it’s cool - I will try it with PPC leopard.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Very Cool ! This only for Leopard, or would it work on Tiger too.
Have some machines running Tiger, but MC is already build via Macports (takes time...) or with other standalone Macports installer packages.
But one independent from Macports for Tiger would be cool too.

PS: Would be cool posted on the Garden too :)

Reactions: wicknix

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
It seems Tiger is losing out somewhat and Leopard is the main choice for PPC Macs, which I suppose is great, but Tiger really runs better on anything less than 867 MHz.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
To all my Tiger fans and supporters - we will always support you it’s my hope that Linux will still prevail on those running lower than 867 MHz machines. I am not sure how Linux runs on those, since my G4 Pismo is a 550 MHz, I may try Linux on that.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
To all my Tiger fans and supporters - we will always support you it’s my hope that Linux will still prevail on those running lower than 867 MHz machines. I am not sure how Linux runs on those, since my G4 Pismo is a 550 MHz, I may try Linux on that.
My G4 550 Pismo will not boot any Linux distro no matter what I try, so please let us know if you have any success.
In the meantime, Tiger runs great, if a little slow ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Amethyst1

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
The only thing I miss in Tiger is a QuickView. Other than that I do prefer it to Leopard.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
It was built and packaged on Leopard. It might work on Tiger if you extract the contents via pacifist and copy the files over manually, but I can't say for sure.
If it was built with MacPorts on Leopard, and you didn't explicitly change macosx_deployment_target in macports.conf, it's very unlikely to work with Tiger. I find I always need to build on the oldest OS.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.