Standalone Office 2016 Mac >> 22 September?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cassady, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

I did a cursory search, but couldn't find anything definitive. Apologies if I'm missing the glaringly obvious.

I'm holding out for the standalone Office version – rather than jumping in with Office 365.

I see MS has announced their date for Office as being 22 September – and since the Office 365 Mac release said the standalone will come out later in September – is that it then? We can expect Office for Mac (standalone) on 22 September? Yes/no?

2. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

3. doynton macrumors 6502

4. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Thanks - but what do you mean by "standalone VL version"?

Wish they'd hurry up and confirm things!

5. doynton macrumors 6502

VL (Volume License) is the version that some enterprise and education sites use. It doesn't use Office 365. If you aren't connected with such a place you can't get it but it uses the same code as the other versions so basically it means it is ready.

I wouldn't get too excited though. Unless you are using Office 365 or are connected to an exchange server you still can't sync anything in outlook (except email) so it isn't really much of an improvement on 2011. Due to the weird way it is now packaged (with all the pointless .lproj languages and fonts duplicated in every single application) it is now massive.

I tested the VL version and it took 6.3GB on my (tiny) SSD. I made a Windows 10 VM with all of Office 2016 beta (including Outlook that will sync your calendar, Access, Project and Visio) and the .VDMX is only 8.1GB (the whole Windows install and all the applications).

If you have 365 it is worth it. If not and you want to use a calendar that isn't solely on you hard drive then honestly it isn't imo.

6. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Appreciate the clarification – thanks!