Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Hoping someone can help out!

Busy setting up a 2.3GHz i7 2012 Mini - stock version (i.e. 4GB ram; 1TB spinner; OSX Mavericks). Saw some other posts suggesting that Yosemite runs sluggish on this setup...

Thing is - having already updated many apps through my MBP - I'm wondering if it isn't just going to be easier to simply update, than spend time looking for previous iterations of my everyday apps (that run on Mavericks, as opposed to Yosemite)...

Anyone who's pulled the trigger on the update, with the standard configuration - would appreciate clarity on how things are running!

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I put Yosemite on my boyfriend's 2012 base i5 a couple of days ago and it was completely fine. I was slightly worried having read so many complaints about it, and was sufficiently paranoid to go to the trouble of making a Mavericks Time Machine backup before I started. I needn't have worried, as I can honestly say I found it no slower than Mavericks. Maybe just make a Mavericks back up and give Yosemite a go?

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I put Yosemite on my boyfriend's 2012 base i5 a couple of days ago and it was completely fine. I was slightly worried having read so many complaints about it, and was sufficiently paranoid to go to the trouble of making a Mavericks Time Machine backup before I started. I needn't have worried, as I can honestly say I found it no slower than Mavericks. Maybe just make a Mavericks back up and give Yosemite a go?

Appreciate the reply. Good idea on the TM backup - will do that!

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I recently acquired a 2012 mini exactly like yours. I installed Yosemite right away and haven't had any issues. A few days ago I also installed 8gb of ram and that helped speed things up.

J232022

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Yosemite should run fine , even if you had a lower end 2012 mac mini it should run fine . You can always turn off transparency too which will give you a nice speed boost . Anyways if mavericks works for you don't upgrade there really is not anything amazing about Yosemite it is basically a new ui with a few new features .

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have a base i5 2012 Mini and Yosemite runs quicker than ML or Mavericks did. Startup is faster and once at the desktop programs open quicker too. Btw I did a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.