Standard Aluminum MacBook or upgraded White?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justin042, May 10, 2009.

1. justin042 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have some money saved and am going to purchase a 13.3" MacBook - no Air, no Pro. I have just enough money to purchase either the a) standard "low-end" 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and 160 GB hard drive aluminum MacBook or b) the white polycarbonate MacBook upgraded to 4 GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive. Any advice on which one would be wiser to purchase?

P.S. The only thing I'm going to need my MacBook for are basic web browsing, e-mail, a CD-ROM game or two, maybe download an app or two, and iTunes for downloading music (I download a lot of music.) I'm also a big multi-taker - having various tabs opened at a time online, while downloading a song off of iTunes. Also, I do not have enough cash to upgrade the memory or hard drive on the aluminum MacBook.

Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are patient, you can find the White MB for $850 on the refurb store. Upgrade the disk and RAM yourself (its very easy).

3. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Refurb Aluminum. Get the extra RAM and have it be good savings. Don't get a whitebook, I saw their screens this morning, total rubish compared to the aluminiums(which where total rubish compared to the macbook pros:p). The lighter weight, better screen, and better materials is vastly superior to the whitebook. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
    SG :apple:

4. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Aren't the notebooks going to be updated soon?

Just wait and you can save a few dollars for upgrades.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't save any money by waiting for upgrades, you just get better specs for the same amount of money.

6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

A lot of people here like the whitebook because it is very nearly as powerful as the UMB for almost the same price, but if you can afford it, I feel as though the UMB's improvments are worth it. I've gotthis feeling that it will go down as one of apples best designed laptops ever.

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The new MacBook is leaps and bounds ahead of the white MacBook.

Take it from someone who's bought 4 since 2006 :) The built quality is way superior (no "Crackbook" issues), it's lighter, it's got multitouch, LED, ddr3 ram... go Alu, especially if you're going to be usng it on the go a lot.

8. TheIrishKro macrumors newbie

TheIrishKro

I am looking for a new MacBook as well but I just can't get over how much the new Unibody looks so much better than the whitebook. I will at least be getting the 2.4 refurb though as I for some reason think if I dont get the backlit keyboard then I will have less of a computer (weird I know.....)

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would get the Aluminum Macbook and upgrade the memory later - it is cheap, and it would be easy to save for. 2GB should be fine to start with...

Same for the hard drive, as long as you can get by the the 160GB that comes with the Macbook, I would get a bigger drive later...

I have worked with both units, and the Aluminum Macbook is a much nicer machine. The only reason not to get one in my mind, is to save some money...

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Don't buy the white MacBook. I've had mine for almost a couple of years now, and the edges are still breaking off. It's a cheap plastic piece of junk. The new aluminum MacBooks are what the originals SHOULD have been.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

... and I've had mine for a year now and it has NO CRACKS WHATSOEVER and NO SIGNS of any such issue. This problem is supposed to be remedied now (I doubt that it totally is, though - I'm sure someone will still have issues...). It all depends on your priorities - new and shiny vs. $200+ in your pocket. You make the call.

My money would go for the $849 refurb nVidia white Macbook. Then all you need is a $40 memory upgrade to 4GB and whatever size/speed hard drive you want.

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Buy the aluminum, you can always upgrade the hd nd ram later, thats what i am doing next month i am getting a 2.4 UMB and buying a 500gb hd and 4gb ram from newagg.

13. Fahrwahr macrumors member

I had the opportunity to compare a white MacBook and aluminum MacBook side by side in Best Buy a little over a week ago, and I was disappointed that at maximum brightness I couldn't tell a different in brightness between the two screens. I was hoping the LED backlighting would make the screens easier to see in a well-lit office environment, but now I doubt it.

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wait another year. ;) But seriously, I hope they have fixed it, because the 4 white/black MacBooks that belong to friends, family and work I've administered over the past couple of years all exhibited the cracking and splitting plastic.

I figured Apple is selling off the old design for cheap because they know they have a design flaw on their hands and they want to get rid of them. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am). But I've learned my lesson... I won't be buying a Rev A Mac ever again. (And to think I said that back after I got stuck with the Yikes G4 in 1999... my own fault!)

15. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

I say go for the aluminum - and get it refurbished. Then you will have money to upgrade the RAM like everyone is talking about later. Mine should be hear tomorrow.

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

That's what I thought too at first. But if that's the case, why did Apple bother to update the white MB, instead of just selling off the stock on hand?