Standard apps I don't use, I think.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnh57, Jan 7, 2015.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

My macbook is mostly work related - some cad, spreadsheets, word processing. I do keep photos around - personal and business. No movies, videos, music etc. I dumped garageband and imovies because I have zero use for them. I really don't have room issues on the machine, but I do like to keep things streamlined a little.

So, itunes comes to mind as software I don't intentionally use. I don't download music and really don't see the need to do so. Is there any reason to keep itunes? Is it used as a native media player? i.e. if I decide to watch espn, or a news show, or a youtube something or other - is itunes used or needed for audio?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can delete iTunes. Nearly anything it can play, QuickTime can play back as well. You only need to keep it around if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad. If you do actions in the iTunes Store, I would suggest keeping it as it is one of the only ways you can control and change your iTunes Store account.

3. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

If the itunes store is different from the mac app store (which I only use for os updates) then I don't do anything with the itunes store. We don't have an iphone, ipad, ipod. The wife has a shuffle - I'm not sure how she uses that. I guess I'll have to go ask.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Mac App Store is different, but the same account information. If all you have is an iPod Shuffle, you can delete iTunes. But first check how the iPod syncs. If it uses, iTunes on your computer don't delete it.

5. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, the shuffle and the macbook seem to be unaware of each others presence. My wife tells me she downloads songs from her PC laptop if she needs to. She never has figured out how to use the macbook so she avoids using it at all costs.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In that case, you can delete iTunes. If you ever need it again, you can always download the latest version from Apple's site and reinstall it.