Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which cycle?

• Standard Cycle

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • S Cycle

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to the 6S or stay on the standard cycle - I'm broke so i need to stop buying every iphone iteration (plus multiple Android phones in between). So, which is better? The S cycle or the standard cycle?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to the 6S or stay on the standard cycle - I'm broke so i need to stop buying every iphone iteration (plus multiple Android phones in between). So, which is better? The S cycle or the standard cycle?

Standard cycle for me because I get to enjoy the new design/new features right away.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Biggest pro for the standard cycle: always have the newest form factor.

Biggest pro for the S cycle: Accessories are readily available.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Biggest pro of the main cycle: have the newest and greatest.
Biggest cons: hardware kinks, lack of support for new form factor (screen, by history).

Biggest pro of the S cycle: abundant support, both hardware wise and software wise. Faster performance. More refined hardware.
Biggest cons: In a year's time your phone will look outdated.

I was on the S cycle then switched to the main cycle on the 6. But that's a testament of how good the S phones are - my iphone 4S lasted me 3 years and I'm a heavy user.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Standard Cycle but wondering if Apple will get rid of the S cycle in the future and just come out with anew device each year

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
nothing beats physical design change. nothing.

That's not necessarily true if the design changes are incremental. If every new design change was as big as the jump from the IP3 to the IP4, then I would agree. But all of the design changes since the IP4 have felt "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary" (not that I expect every new phone design to be a revolutionary change).

I know there are people that prefer speed and refinement of a device over a slightly re-designed form factor.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Standard Cycle but wondering if Apple will get rid of the S cycle in the future and just come out with anew device each year

Why would they do this if they can sell a busload of S-cycle models with very little changed every other year? They don't put all their eggs in one basket.

That's not necessarily true if the design changes are incremental. If every new design change was as big as the jump from the IP3 to the IP4, then I would agree. But all of the design changes since the IP4 have felt "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary" (not that I expect every new phone design to be a revolutionary change).

The front of the iPhone has looked basically the same since the original. I'd say it has been incremental since the beginning, mostly on the rear of the iPhone. Metal-backed original iPhone to full plastic 3G/3GS to full glass 4/4s to part glass/part aluminum 5/5s and back to metal-backed 6/6+. It's not just the shape of the phone that makes the form factor.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Both. Standard for hardware, s for internals (Touch ID in the 5s was nice though)

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I always prefer the later/best/special model of anything. That way all the problems are fixed, and the focus turns to making it the best it can be of that model. Can be cars, gadgets, etc. But the screen factor was just such a huge jump that I had to get on the standard cycle.

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I guess i'll just stick with yearly upgrades. It's just expensive to have to spend $1000 or more every single year :(... oh well thanks guys.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Until the 5 every first release needed more speed. The "s" cycle solved this. There's also the argument of refinement in second year phones.

However, I don't think it's as clear cut as it used to be. Either is fine.

----------

nothing beats physical design change. nothing.

Functionality trumps it every time. Physical change in itself adds nothing of value to me. Nothing.

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
I guess i'll just stick with yearly upgrades. It's just expensive to have to spend $1000 or more every single year :(... oh well thanks guys.

Perhaps you should look into AT&T's Next 12 deal or Sprint's iPhone For Life deal, which they also offer as a 12 month option.

You won't be keeping the phone at the end of the year, but you'll upgrade every year. These plans were made with people like you in mind.

P.S... you don't HAVE to spend $1,000 or more every single year. You are choosing to. ;)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

I prefer the major refresh myself. I'm sort of in your shoes...I had a perfectly functioning Galaxy Note 3, but I just couldn't resist the urge to upgrade to the iPhone 6+. I purchased the Note 3 at full retail last year because I didn't have an upgrade available and I just had to have it. Well this year I was eligible for a full upgrade and was faced with the question of riding it out with my Note 3 for another year and upgrading on the "S" cycle or upgrading at the full refresh.

Well I've decided that if I upgrade at the full refresh, my phone for the most part stays relevant for 2 years. Vs. upgrading on the "S" cycle I'll be wanting that full refresh a year later. Plus the real question I faced was whether or not I wanted to leave Android for the iPhone. Well once I decided to return to the iPhone the answer was clear to upgrade now and sell my Note 3. For me the S upgrade just isn't as exciting as the full refresh.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

How about constantly alternating between non-S and S cycles?

Example: 3G to 4S, then 4S to 6+.

That's what one of my friends did (buying a new iPhone every 3 years).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If you are "broke", that should make you choice.:cool:

Unless you ar the US government!:rolleyes:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its the standard cycle for me even if the 'S' is the improved version. I'd rather have the new look phone for the entire time of my contract rather than a new phone that looks like the old one, if that makes sense? There is no right answer though and it entirely up the the individual. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.