Standard iOS UI included in SDK?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Jorohaco, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jorohaco macrumors newbie

I'm a designer and am new to designing for iOS—the developers I team with are new as well. I just want to know if all the standard UI that Teehan+Lax features in their UI/PSD comping builds (http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/ipad-gui-psd-retina-display/) are readily sliced and available for immediate use in the iOS SDK.

I designed an iPad app with half the UI using Apple's UI controls (e.g. flyouts, the scroll wheel, scrolling lists, buttons, tables, etc.). We have a dashboard-like interface that borrows heavily from the Settings app, for instance.

My developers are having trouble getting the UI to match my originals designs and it seems like they're manually slicing all these standard elements from the PSDs I give them—even though they're not supposed to be doing any slicing :\

Any help would be great.

2. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Pretty much everything you see in the Teehan+Lax PSDs are standard iOS gui elements that are already built in to the iOS SDKs.

They're intended for use in mockups etc, you shouldn't actually be slicing them or using anything in that file in your app!

Just give your developers the custom assets that you have designed yourself, and they should be able to figure out how to incorporate them into the UI.

3. Jorohaco thread starter macrumors newbie

That's pretty much what I had figured; it seems as though the dev team that I'm working with doesn't know what they're doing despite me saying that all those assets already come with the SDK—they're slicing away at my PSDs even though I instructed them not to. :confused:

Just wanted to double check that I'm not the crazy one. Thanks for the reassurance!

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Time to get management involved.

Unless you're the manager. Then it's time to tell them to stop immediately, and provide an explanation of what they're doing, why they're doing it, and how that fits into the development plan. If you get crappy answers or no answers, it may be time to look for different developers.

5. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

I suggest you install Xcode and do the layout yourself. It'll be much quicker, more accurate and also useable by the development team.