Standard Practice ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jim Campbell, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

... Or clearing inventory?

Just to amuse myself (as one does), I priced up some new kit for home and stuck it in my Apple Store shopping basket to add it up - Macbook and a 20" iMac.

Since I didn't have the requisite two grand, and was really only window shopping, I left it at that (and went back to work!).

Mere minutes later, I miss a call on my mobile which turns out to have been Apple UK, leaving me a voicemail advising that they have seen what's in my saved basket and are in a position to offer me a discount on the list price.

I've only bought direct from Apple once before, so I don't know whether this is standard practise or not. If I can find a couple of minutes spare, I'll ring back and find out how much they're offering ...

Cheers

Jim

2. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Wow, I never heard anything like that before. They must be anxious in selling their products right now..

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've heard of this happening occasionally before with Apple USA also.... I don't know how often they do this, or what the criteria they apply are.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Could simply be because its a large sale... at the very least, find out what they're offering... it can't hurt anything.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they do it every now and then. i've heard of it happening a few times now. i don't know what the criteria is or anything. but if you do leave things in your cart etc they have been known to call to make a sale.