Standard USB iMac mouse wont scroll

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macmee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

For a lot of the time the scrolling works, but sometimes for around half an hour to an hour at a time it doesn't work at all.

Normally when scrolling with the mouse when it works you can ever so slightly feel the vibration of the ball. When it doesn't work I wont be able to scroll in a direction (for example, I can scroll up but not down). When I move the ball in this direction it wont scroll in, the ball it rolls completely smooth.

I attempted to take it back to BestBuy however they needed to see it broken. The person I spoke to scrolled the ball on the mouse for a good ten minutes and it finally started working. Then I was told that since it was working I wasn't allowed to get a replacement...I don't want to have to spin the scroll ball for ten minutes every 4 hours to get scrolling capability back:(.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wow... Best Buy is a bunch of idiots. They know nothing about computers, period, other than the ones that make good sales pitches.

Flip your Mighty Mouse upside down and rub it on a piece of paper until it frees itself. It should take about ten seconds, not minutes. There is nothing else you can do about this. They all get dirt in the scroll sphere.

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Even if it was broken why not call up apple? (assuming mightymouse). And Yes bestbuy know crap all about computers, if you go and buy a mac they read the little peice of paper on the thing infront of the computer, my mom asked if the computer had an airport card i dont know why and there like, uh... I think so and i just told my mom yea.

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

My guess is that your MM is just dirty inside. All mouses (mighty or not) get dirty after a while, and they usually don't consider that as a warranty issue. And even if they do, you will bump into the same problem sooner or later.

Here are ways to clean it yourself every once in a while.

According to Apple
    Disassemble video
    Disassemble photos

Hope this helps!

5. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I think this is beyond a cleaning issue. Whenever I scroll in a direction where it works I can hear the mouse making that clicking sound it makes whenever it scrolls (that very very soft sound). Say I'm trying to scroll in the direction it wont work, I get no sound.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you try?

7. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yes. It still didn't function after 30 seconds.

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Call up apple or something, haha thats my solution to everything.

9. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I went into BestBuy again and the guy spent ten minutes trying to do something with rolling tape? In the end he couldn't do it and told me to come back later when his more experienced co-worker could attempt to "clean" it. He told me I would be surprised how common this problem is (you'd think Apple would have fixed this...or atleast made their mice easier to open).

When I got home I kept spinning the ball until it began to work. Five minutes after it was working it stopped again:(.

10. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

This is very frustrating. It's happening every one or two days now. It's not like my hands are covered in dirt, either. Surely this mouse is defective?