Standart resolution + Antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryuk, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ryuk macrumors newbie

Hi guys of MacRumors.

Way to tell you...

I have read countless times all the threads of antiglare screens and glossy screens, but none could satisfy my doubts.

My question is: There is a MacBook Pro with standart resolution (1440x900) and antiglare screen?

Greetings!

2. Kauai, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Kauai macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, not as of yet (for the new and recent MBPs). If you want antiglare you have to pay for HiRes too. There are some third party solutions, but thus far the ones I know of have all been unsatisfactory.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Yes there is. It's called the June 2009 MacBook Pro.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

This link here should give you all the answers you need on the MacBook Pro's.

5. ryuk, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

ryuk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks sandbox!

EDIT:

Is there a possibility (rumor) that go out in this new line of MBP's an anti-glare screen? (always thinking of 1440x900 pixels)

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I haven't heard anything like that but there is always a possibility. It's wasn't made available for the previous model.

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If the standard resolution (1440x900) is your thing, you can always choose to get that standard glossy screen & then applied an anti-glare screen protector onto the screen. Although those are not the best obviously when compared to a matte screen, most of these anti-glare screen protectors do a decent job at reducing glare.

I've got the PowerSupport anti-glare screen protectors on my early 2009 MBP & I think it works great. :)

8. ryuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Speed...

assuming that I have a high resolution screen. Can I fall in pixels with the operating system? It is an option? From 1680x1050 to 1440x900...?

9. 2contagious, Feb 28, 2011

2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Why do you want the standard resolution? The HiRes screen might seem weird at the beginning, but trust me, you'll get used to it and end up preferring it :)

10. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

If I'm not mistaken, you can lower the resolution in system prefs... right?

11. ajarnfalang, Feb 28, 2011

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

You should be able to get the laptop however you want to get it.

But that's not what Apple is about. They just give you what they want, not what you want.

Again, hate to say it but, you have many more options going PC.

Have fun with your Macbook Mirror. At least you can comb your hair and be amazed at its beauty.

When you want to do real work, get a PC.

12. mashsensor, Feb 28, 2011

mashsensor macrumors member

I am a programmer too, I am not sure what the down side is for getting a higher res screen? Id want to fit as many lines of code on a screen as possible.

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah, It's not a great idea to start your membership on MacRumors with cursing in the thread title. Good way to get a warning.

As for anti-glare, just get a film. I've heard that they are a nice balance between the color quality and brightness of a glossy with the reduced reflections of the anti-glare. I'm considering this option myself. I have a solution from PowerSupport on my iPad and it works really well.

14. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

15. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I would have the same dilemma as you if I were buying a 15". I don't like high-res screens (without resolution independence) because they make words and characters too small to read all day in comfort. I don't like glossy because of the glare/look.

"Fortunately," with the 13" I don't have the choice :(, but if I did I would really want a regular resolution/anti-glare.

Actually, I thought I had read that the new 15" was going to come with that option, but I guess it doesn't -- that's too bad.

16. ryuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.
    the standard screen only comes with the glossy screen.

17. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Yes. Just go and slap something on the computer you just spent $2,000 bucks for so that it is the way you want.

It would be impossible for Apple to just give you the laptop you want. They just give you what they want.

and if you DARE change the beauty of the laptop by making it NOT glossy (that's not the way Steve wants it), then you have to give them another $150 bucks AND get it Hi-Res.

I Heart :apple:

18. ryuk thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my main problem :(

19. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Beauty over utility.

They wouldn't want to ruin their edge to edge glass.

My suggestion, if you want to blow money on a Mac, is to get the new Macbook Air 2011. The Flash Memory makes it as fast as the 2010 15".

20. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Yeah, my eyes find it much more relaxing at regular resolution size. Come on resolution independence, darnit!

When I was recently between computers, I had to use my old iBook 14" for a short while. Yeah, it was slow as molasses, but ahhhh, matte screen and non-tiny characters :)

I can see where people who are looking at images all day long would appreciate more "real estate" and really need the sharpness --- maybe I would too in that situation. But reading/writing words and numbers, I find it tiring. To each their own though - I just wish we could choose! I would gladly pay extra for a matte screen on my MBP 13", for example. Just offer me one!

I did do a little Internet shopping for a screen film, but the ones I saw got pretty bad reviews. Does anyone have one they like? Don't make me get out the sandblaster :eek: ;)

21. ryuk thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Scalfani macrumors member

I actually just bought one myself, got it today. It's a fantastic machine. I love the screen and prefer it over the Hi-res.

23. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Oh that must be where I wsaw that option and not in the 2011's. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Gee, I don't really need a 15" laptop, but that is tempting. Anti-glare would be sooo nice.

So... can anyone tell me how that resolution in 15" compares to the resolution in the 13"? Given that there is more screen in the 15" do they about even out? Or is one still "smaller" or "larger"? :confused:

I wonder how the weight compares..... going to look now....

Miss Terri