Standby and usage time help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lonman06, May 7, 2011.

1. lonman06 macrumors regular

Hey guys. For some odd reason today my standby and usage time are exactly equal. It says 1 hour and 11 minutes for both and I haven't really been using the phone. I have closed all the apps running and reopened the ones I usually run. I have isolated the problem to Kik messenger which is odd because it has been on my phone for months. I have tried restarting the phone and reinstalling the app, but nothing has helped.

Does anyone else have any advice for me?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

My solution: Don't worry about the usage/standby times and enjoy the phone.

Usage/standby times mean nothing unless your checking the battery life or are trying to limit your usage.

3. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is it didn't start until today and its draining my battery faster...

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Are you logged into the iTunes/iBooks store, or did you attempt a login recently?

I had a situation last month where I started up iBooks and it asked me to log in so that it could sync my bookmarks. I typed in my lAppleID and password into the popup box and hit "OK" (or "Login" or whatever the button is called) but I was then interupted by someone and turned my phone off (put it into standby). When I next turned my phone on 12 hours later it showed 12 hours usage (and 12 hours standby) for a phone I had only just taken off the charger 12 hours earlier. I think that the login process must have got itself in a funny state when I turned it off too soon after trying to login 12 hours earlier.

All I did to fix it was go to Settings/Store in the main Apple Settings app and explicitly log myself into the store there and made sure the login was successful before switching off my phone. Since then my usage and standby counters have behaved as I expected. This might not be your problem but it's worth a try.

- Julian

5. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, gave this a try but still having the same problem.:confused:

6. Givmeabrek, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If you have an application that is causing a problem what is the logical thing to do??

Hint: Remove it

7. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

I have removed it and reinstalled. Problem is its an app I use a lot and it never gave me a problem until today...

8. critic81 macrumors regular

if you notice this happening usually a reboot fixes it. I get this sometimes. Not to much to worry about it.

9. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

It's just a glitch. After I got a replacement phone I like to use it until it dies, even though you don't really have to. After about the fourth day on standby, it started to count Usage AND Standby as the same thing. But after I fully recharged it, the problem never occurred again. It's nothing that's going to really mess the phone up.

10. nivekr11 macrumors regular

It happened to me a few times. Resetting network settings always clears it up for me.

11. KingSK88 macrumors newbie

From time to time, double click home button and close every app that is in your multitask bar. Some Apps may still be running without you knowing. Also reset your network settings. That might help.

12. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried everything to no avail. It seems to run the app in the background for about 10 minutes and then stops. So everytime I use the app it will keep my usage going for about 10 minutes after I use it. I don't get it...

13. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I had the same problem where the standby and usage time was exactly the same. My iPhone battery definitely was worse because it was only lasting 1 day instead of 3.

I've tried hard reset, closing all apps from multitasking bar, etc but nothing worked. I ended up restoring my phone from the same backup and it fixed the problem. Now I get 3 days again

14. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Your "Usage" shouldn't go up at all in standby.

Try going into Settings>Store, and see if you are signed in... if so, sign out of it.