Standby and Usage times??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stefc93, Jun 30, 2010.

1. stefc93 macrumors regular

I have noticed that the standby and usage times on my iPhone 4 are exactly the same. This isn't a coincidence. It has been like this since the first day I got it. Why is this?

From what I can remember from my first gem iPhone, the times were different. Why's it the same on the iPhone 4?

2. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

3. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. It's half fixed. I say half because now when I put the phone to sleep/lock it, the standby timer counts how long the phone has been in standby (which it should) but once I start using it, the usage timer AND the standby timer both start timing how ling it's been used. The standby timer should only count the time while the phone is asleep/locked, bot while it's being used.

4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Known issue.. it's apples way to trick it's consumers into thinking they are getting WAY better battery life than they really are.

5. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

So this is happening to you? I don't think Apple purposefully did this just to fool you into thinking better battery life. Or did they?

Nevertheless, I can wait for a software update. Especially for the antenna.

6. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Is this a known issue? I just looked at mine and it is doing the same thing./

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Every phone I have seen (about 13 different ones from people I know) all have this issue... those odds are to great for me to think coincidence.

8. madius macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, from day one. Did a hard reset last night and it fixed itself. Much better battery life as well.

9. toffa813 macrumors regular

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

This has been this way since the original iPhone. The standby will count always, and reset automatically to zero when the phone is charged fully. Doesn't matter if you are using it or not.

Not sure why they call it a standby timer, since it has never only measured standby time.

After three years, it's safe to say this is by design and not some bug.

11. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, this is probably (most likely) true. I mean, there have been so updates since 1.0. Minor and major updates. You'd think they would have fixed it but I guess they want it this way.

Anyone want to email Jobs?

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's how it always worked with the iPhone and any other phone.

13. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Right. I didn't say that was wrong. That's the only thing that the iPhone's timers are doing right. BUT, it shouldn't count the length of time that I'm actually USING the phone.

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why not? That's how it's always been.

15. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Because STANDBY is when you're not using the phone. USAGE is the time that you are using the phone.

They're two different times. It's like adding 3x and 2y. You can't. And you won't get 5 because x and y are totally different units. Therefore, you won't get 5xy.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's not how it works. Standby time is the total time the phone has been on. Usage is the time you used it.

What I don't get is why this bothers you so much now since this is how it always worked for any cell phone.

17. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's very misleading. Standby time is the time that the phone has been sleeping, hence the name "standby." Usage is how long you've used the phone for, hence the name "usage."