** Standby Battery Test **

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MT0227, Jun 29, 2010.

1. MT0227 macrumors 6502

I've set up my iP4 as a New phone and did NOT restore from a previous backup. I did a full charge to 100%, reset the data usage and made sure all apps were closed. I put it the phone to sleep (clicked power button) and I went to sleep. I woke up this morning and woke the phone up; 4% was used after 6hrs and 50min of standby time, there was no other usage.

Doing some quick math this would equate to 170.83 hours of standby time assuming a linear relationship; 56.94% of the 300hrs on the spec sheet.

410min/4% = 102.50min/% of standby use

102.5min*100/60 = 170.83 hours

This seems pretty light given the standby time rating. I'm hoping I can get others to perform the same test to get a decent sample of performance, please post your findings.

Thanks!

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

I have found that the battery indicators are not linear.

from my experience my battery drops from 100% down to 80% pretty quickly but the next 20% and the rest of the battery take much long than the initial drop.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I started a standby thread yesterday with similar questions. However, my iPhone 4, from 3G backup and already in use, was 100% at bed and 100% in the morning, but then in 4 hours dropped 12% with 1 email and no calls, but this may be caused by the mail app in multitasking, push, etc, being too active. Still compared to my 3G under the same settings, seems odd. Still looking at it, and will monitor. I don't expect 300 hrs standby on WiFi, 3G, GPS, Notifications, and Mail Push.

Unlike yesterday, my phone is still at 100% even after playing music in the car this morning on my ride to work. Charged overnight, been unplugged since about 6:30, so 3 hours now. But each time I used my Mail app today, I brought up multitasking and killed the app to keep it from background draining. That may be the difference. I guess if so, I have three choices: 1.) charge almost daily, 2.) turn from push to fetch at hourly or manual intervals, or 3.) continue killing mail in the mutlislider tray after each use.

Edit: Just dropped to 99%. Consistent with 300 hours. 3 hours/1%. 6:30-9:30. However, with Mail killed, I noticed that I had a "2" badge indicating 2 new emails, so even though I killed the app, Push and Notifications still was active in grabbing mail. *** Some have noted that you must return to the home screen before locking otherwise the app is still active and drains more battery, and this can be especially true of mail, and even more so of mail if it is actively checking for mail in the bottom status. Let it complete before you home and then lock to minimize background drain.

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Standby or not, this battery is so much better then my 3GS. I've been browsing macrumors and posting for the past 20 minutes along with angry birds and it has only dropped down 1 percent.

5. MT0227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm at 73% given the stats below...thoughts?

Usage: 2hrs 20min (mostly ipod use)
    Standby: 11hrs 23min
    Call Time: 3min
    305kb sent, 1.7mb received

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Down to 87%. 13% used in 8.5 hours. Very light usage. But yesterday I was down to this point in 4 hours. And I have used it more today. So that is promising.

7. thep33t macrumors regular

Sorry dude. Mathematical analysis fail.

I travel one mile on foot in 6 minutes no problem. By this math, I can travel 60 miles in 6*60=360=6 hours. Or better yet, can walk across the US (~1200 miles) in 5 days! AMAZING!!!!

8. urbanj macrumors regular

You could if your rate of work remained the same the whole 5 days.

I'd assume while on standby nothing really changes. I really don't know how battery output changes throughout its state of charge. Though the battery indicator is never exact either.

9. Subliminal28 macrumors newbie

170 hours is still very promising... I mean why would you want your phone on standby for about 8 days and not turn it off, make a call, or charge it?... The battery on the iPhone 4 is definitely one of the better features... after talking for about an hr and a half my battery dropped about 15-20%ish on the meter, which is incorrect for the first 80% lol.