Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
What sort of data amount would you say the 4S has just from everyday standby use? Assuming the basics are running (weather, stocks, push-notifications, email etc.)

I have a pretty low data allowance with Vodafone (500MB) and I'm always running low, despite being on WiFi at work and at home.

I know there will be variables depending on personal use, but the 4S does seem to use data in the background a lot, plus Siri and iMessage, so I'm trying to see if 500MB is a plausible amount of data per month!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Assuming you have WiFi in the places where your phone spends a lot if its time (mostly at home, but perhaps at work also) then 500MB will be plenty. I never go over that in a month, and I get all my work emails on my 4S.

It's another matter if you download a lot/stream a lot on cellular, though, as that pushes the usage up quickly.

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
500mb is woefully low for a new smartphone. Wish these UK companies would get with it and offer a decent amount of MB.

I'm on 3 so unlimited, but I happily chug through 2.5gb per month without trying.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I had unlimited previously with O2 (but only due to having the contract long before everyone started capping) and I never worried about data. Now I feel a little sad that my phone has huge capabilities, but uses data for seemingly everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.