standby mode = SSD wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yliu, Sep 8, 2013.

1. yliu macrumors regular

So I read about how rMBP and MBA has the 'standby mode' which copies the RAM onto the SSD after a certain amount time.

If I think about it, if my mac copies 8GB of RAM files few times a day, wouldn't it wear out the SSD very fast?

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Even if it does, have you ever read about massive SSD failure in the notebook industry? Due to standby?

It's more scaremongering that doesn't pan out in everyday life.

3. paul-n macrumors regular

There are many possibilities that your Mac will fail, but the wear out is very unrealistic. Backup are mandatory and turn most mega trouble in simple offense.
    Also hibernation don't always copy your complete RAM to the drive, only data will be saved no cache.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Well, the extra wear caused by the stanby mode might easily start to show in a couple of decades. So if you plan on using the laptop long after the year 2035, I suggest you disable standby mode entirely ;)

5. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

Failure estimates for all the SSD's I've owned so far are pointing at 10 years, even with fairly heavy use... if you're still running your laptop by then I'd be very impressed! So I wouldn't worry about it :)

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

with the MTBF of these ssds i guess by the time it begins to show any symptoms of failure you might have already upgrade to a higher capacity drive due to growing data needs or perhaps resorted to cloud storage.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say given how long people tend to hang onto laptops, this potential issue is a nonissue.

If you wish to disable the sleep image file do the following steps in the terminal

Code:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    delete /private/var/vm/sleepimage :
    sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
    create an empty file and name it 'sleepimage' :
    touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
    change his flag to immuable :
    chflags -uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage
    Basically this disables the hibernatemode, removes the existing sleep image file, then creates an empty file (because OSX will continue to recreate it)