Standing desk to complete my iMac setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by azure247, Dec 31, 2014.

1. azure247 macrumors 6502

Hello guys!

So far I have a 5k iMac with a mounting stand and love the clean look. It also leaves space on my desk to put things.

Next on my list is to buy a powered standing desk and I narrowed it down to two choices but I am so scared to pick one without seeing it in person.

First is the S2S2 by Ergoprise
    [​IMG]
    Final price: 788 USD

Second is the Evodesk
    [​IMG]
    Final price: 707 (without the keyboard attachment)

They are both base models and the table tops for each one is very different. The evodesk looks industrial with the carbon-looking plastic appearance (on close-up image) [​IMG]
    whereas the Ergoprise looks more homely with the table top that looks like wood.

I really like the Ergoprise more just by the picture alone but the website for Evodesk is well designed and alluring. It reminds me of the apple website and gives me the impression that I am buying the best one out there.

I can't decide guys! Price is definitely not a concern since they are similar. I am more concerned that I wont enjoy having the Evodesk in my bedroom because it may look too industrial and look out of place. Then again, I cant tell because it is just a picture. Plus, evodesk sounds a lot cooler than ergoprise.

Does anyone have either of these and can give me their honest opinion?

2. JPS127 macrumors member

3. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard they are the best but that is coming from subjective reviews. Their products cost more because the basic model is a bamboo table which does warrant the 1500 price tag but that is way too much for a table.

4. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Those are two fantastic desks. You got me thinking!

5. azure247, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

They do look great.

Since the last poster mentioned NextDesk, I am leaning on going with that. I did research them before and they seem to be the most well known producer. Although, it is almost double the price... hmm but I expect to use it for life so a nice table may be reasonable... I will have to see.

On another note... something strange. It seems like they are all based in Austin, TX which makes me wonder if they are essentially all the same products with price gouges and different table tops.

Okay, went ahead and bought the Nextdesk. Won't ship for 1-2 weeks.

6. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Wow, that was fast!!! What model did you get? I am leaning towards the Terra model with the light bamboo and a center grommet in the matte silver finish for the legs. Not sure if I want the vanity tray to hide cables or not. What did you opt for?

7. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

For those of you coming on to this thread, and want standing desk ideas, check out ikeahackers.net :

I made one (shown below) from the idea at this site:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2014/04/home-office-standing-desk/

For ergonomic reasons, use the following heights:
    keyboard height: Standing height with elbows bent at 90 degrees (plus 0, -0-2") (you don't want to be reaching up for the keyboard, but slightly down is OK)
    Top of Monitor height: Height of eyes - (minus) 2-3"

I'm 5'10", and the height for the keyboard is 42" (Elbows bend at 43", and with shoes on, it's even), and my retina iMac stands at 59.5" (a little high, but with the desk at that height, but it works). So, what I did was this:

Use Jeff Schertz' desk idea without the top shelf. The guy must be a giant!
    [​IMG]
    and I put the Ikea wheels on the bottom.

Total cost: About $230 It is solid. I was worried about the stands that hold up the desk platform, but I think I could sit on this thing and it wouldn't budge.

8. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Been looking at standup solutions, but the price tags on most are ridiculous.

Here's a DIY that I might give a shot at this weekend:

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html

Also, there seems to be some decently rated reviews for these desks. Might pull the trigger one one if the DIY isn't that great:

40" Not Easy to Adjust: http://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Stand-Up-Desk-Workstation/dp/B00H3MGJMG

48" With Adjustable Crank: http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-St..._sbs_hg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XCTE7MKHDNV6CVJKHXK

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Go to Staples or OfficeMax and get a 30"x72" conference table with folding legs.

Cost will be <$100 and you will have:
    1. A wide, flat workspace about the same as the high-buck desk, and
    2. A lot more $$$ left in your pocket... :)

10. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

That's a great idea and all, but that's not a standup desk solution like we're discussing.

11. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

The obvious benefit to the more expensive models discussed in this thread is they are ADJUSTABLE...and by pushbutton a motors.

So, you're not stuck with a "standing only" desk and can use it with a chair just as easily.

12. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Well, I just pulled the trigger on this:

Attached Files:

13. endium macrumors newbie

Did you get it? How do you like it?

14. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Wow - as a builder of desks, I find that statement funny. Then again, all these ideas are nothing more than a slab with legs, so perhaps you have a point.

If I were interested in DIY and wanted something that wouldn't fall apart from the slightest lean or move, I'd head over to Depot or Lowes and buy a bunch of concrete blocks and place a Butcher Block top on those. At least it would be stable.

Oh, and Paint the blocks some stylin' color.

15. campyguy macrumors 68040

You, and me too...

I ended up with an IKEA GERTON beech table top suspended between two wire shelving units from Home Depot. I added a Herman Miller Flo Dual for my two monitors. All in for under $400, with scads of shelving/storage space too...

16. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Ikea - The largest furniture company in the world (OK, it's not really furniture, but..) and the bane of all Craftsmen. The apartment in Fight Club said it all I think ;)

17. campyguy macrumors 68040

Agreed!

I used to get my stress out by woodworking, but my last house - a 1906 Craftsman - beat that drive out of me along with any remaining interest in fixer-upper homes. :(

FWIW, I did shop around at the local Woodcrafter's for butcher block before I went to that Swedish reseller of Chinese-made goods. The IKEA table top is just a placeholder for a few months until I settle on something I really want! :p

18. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Not the top quality, but not bad for joined Maple - you're welcome, and BTW most of what they sell
    is Chin as well - darn it ;)

https://www.grizzly.com/products/category/360100

19. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Ive been interested in picking one of these standing desks for a long time but still haven't pulled the trigger

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I've had a stand up desk for about 6 years.

Actually I bought it at a modern furniture store and it was intended to be a bar.
    It's very unique as it is mostly glass, and the entire base swivels to open. Glass shelves and all with curved side.

The top is not deep on either side, yet it is wide as I use it opened at all times.
    When I bought it, the selling part to me is when I am standing my arms are perfectly balanced to type, nearly a perfect 45 degree angle for my elbows. I never get fatigued or wrist cramps.

When I have a moment, I will post some pics to give ideas. Point being, it does not have to be a desk to function as one.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think it's easier to pull up a high-top chair / stool to sit than to lower an desk to chair-level. Plus all the adjustable desks are super ugly.

Adjustable desk just sounds silly and impractical to me. Like having height-adjustable kitchen cabinets - instead of a little step ladder.

22. campyguy macrumors 68040

Agreed - as I'm becoming accustomed to a standing "desk/platform", I'm feeling that I don't need to drop my desk down now, and having two arms on my monitors to move them around now cements my feelings somewhat.

I'm now looking at a few adjustable stools to complement my workspace now, like the Muvman Factory or Sit-Stand Stool, the Varier Move Stool, and the Focal Mobis Seat - I like that they have "tall" options and that they're angled and adjustable! I'm 6'7" - a normal chair to most is a primary-grade-school-sized chair to me...