Standing outside Apple Store beating trade-in credit. Better than buying Craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobertoG, Nov 10, 2013.

1. RobertoG macrumors member

Tired of not finding an exact match for a good condition white unlocked iPhone 5 at a fair price (they sell at near new prices, or have a crack), I thought of this strategy for a low haggle purchase, in a nice place:

Standing outside the store with a sign "up to 350 for your iphone!!!"

Any drawbacks or foreseeable problems of doing this?

2. kolax macrumors G3

3. imejh macrumors member

imejh

It won't be a problem till someone who works at the store sees what your doing then asks you to get rid of the sign and leave.

4. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

You'll have loads of people try and offload their old iPhones and expect decent money, plus you'll have security move you off site no doubt depending where the Apple store is.

5. RobertoG thread starter macrumors member

I just read that Apple would only give credit to those looking to start a new [carrier] contract, thus virtually all iphone 5 owners would be disqualified.

Is this true?

6. 1934hotrod macrumors regular

1934hotrod

I have the mental picture, takes all kinds doesn't, wonder it he wears his ball cap backwards?

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If the Apple store is in a Mall which most are, the mall operators can throw you out for soliciting on private property if store personnel complain. Most malls have signs posted strictly prohibiting exactly what you are asking.

8. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

$350?

I was offered $325 for just recycling my iphone:

Unlocked White iPhone 5 32 GB mint condition.

This think is, I have apple care plus extended/accidental warranty which recycling doesn't that that into account.

I don't know if different regions gives differing prices, but that was the price I got in Los Angeles.

9. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

You can call AppleCare and get a refund on the unused portion if your AppleCare coverage. I do that all the time. After one year on my iPhone5 I got $49 back returned on my credit card for the unused portion of my AppleCare plus. Just call AppleCare. Ask for the agreements administration department