standing speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Archetype1, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Archetype1 macrumors newbie

hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section this is my first post
    i'm looking to buy standing speakers that i could hook up to my mac, but i'm sure i have to buy more parts other than just the speakers cause i don't think the speakers hook up directly into the mac lol:p
    could someone point me in the right direction as to what i need to buy to set it up and also some good speakers? not trying to spend over a thousand

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What you want to be an audiophile is a cheap receiver with a optical input and get stand standing speakers with it then hook your Mac to the receiver.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

For standing speakers, I'd look at Sony, Pioneer, Martin Logan, Bose and Klipsch. There's a good selection at B&H Photo.

What you need to use these speakers (not just with your Mac) is an A/V receiver. That same site also has a good selection of those. I'd recommend sticking to the same brand for speaker and receiver. These receivers will often have a 3.5mm auxiliary input or TOSLINK optical input. TOSLINK is better. What you also need is a male to male cable, either 3.5mm or TOSLINK. Monoprice.com has an excellent selection of such cables.

May I ask why you are specifically looking into standing speakers?

Note: I do not represent any of the brands, retailers or sites mentioned above. Those are just the places I go to for such products.