Stands for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgould, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jgould macrumors regular

Ok. I'm looking for a stand to hold my 13" MacBook Pro in closed clamshell when I'm using it. The way my desk is set up, I am unable to access the optical drive without moving the entire laptop. (not that I use it that much, but it would be nice to be able to get to it for when I *do* use it.

I've been looking at the BookArc and may go that route. I've also looked at the HengeDock. I keep leaning toward the BookArc (at least for now, My needs my change in the future...)

Anyone have any opinions on the BookArc?

2. thinh3d macrumors member

the HengeDocks looks more sleek, but I had a big trouble with it: my displayport to mini-displayport cable DOES NOT fit the designed socket, hence it's not useful for me at all. it seems like they do sell a special adapter but it's out of stock on their website for a really long time!

So if you just use HDMI or DVI or VGA (Apple brands adapters), then I think the hengedocks is better. But if you are like me, using the mini-displayport to displayport cable, then you better go for the BookArc.

Good luck!

PS: 1 more thing...if the new MBP has new design, or Apple swaps the ports around, then the HengeDocks users are in trouble big time!!!!

3. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

have hendgedock myself, and don't have any issues with it.

[​IMG]

4. jgould thread starter macrumors regular

I use the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. The only things that are plugged into my MacBook are power, external monitor and audio out. The other ports go largely unused. (I'll plug in Ethernet if I'm moving 30 Gig worth of something, but most of the time wireless works just fine for me. I have a gift card to the Apple Store that is slightly helping to influence this decision...

I would love to buy a HengeDock from the Apple Store. I would have bought one when I got the MBP then...

5. jgould thread starter macrumors regular

That's a nice looking setup, Doc. I seem to have limited desk space. So I'm always trying to maximize it.

6. thinh3d macrumors member

Sweet setup there man!!! Nice to see you're enjoying your HengeDocks....Until I could find an adapter, it's useless to me now :(